Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    HMah
    Participant

It was mentioned that a Multi-user version of NV1 was worked on or completed or near completion.

Regardlesss, the question is: Why would Q.W. Page never release it way back when, especially since NV2 continued to be delayed?

Secondly, I believe that there are many existing user who would be more than happy with a Multi-user NV1 (even if has limitations) than having to wait for NV2.

Any comments, suggestions, or questions?

HMah
    Participant

The following are the features most of my clients would like to be able to input via multi-user:

Accts Payable Invoices
    Add new accounts
    Bankrec
    Payroll
    Invoicing
    Purchase Orders

An excepable option would be to enter the above or most (ie: bank rec done on the live) at an external source then be exportedimported to the live set of books.

Access to reportstransactions is a big demand but could continue by copies of the books.

Cheque printing is another, but does not create a major problem if the inputing could be done else where.

DEholnikof
    Participant

Ah – Version 1.5 or ONLY Version 2

The answer from QW Page – As I’ve been told from them – Priorities, Focus, & manpower.
    But in truth – I think its even more simple – they are myopic in this “never ending project”

I for one would like to see / have an NV 1.5 Multi-User – even if it has no extra code, no locking schema –

David

HMah
    Participant

By the way many clients do use a modified NV1 procedure EXPALLTR to accomplish many of the above, but there are several restrictions. The main problem is that the exported entries will be duplicated if you back date entries and try to copy prior period dates.

The EXPALLTR would work if there was a method of recording the entries as they were being made, rather than search for them after.

DEholnikof
    Participant

There is a way – use a workstation only for Data Entry – and then batch to a real set of books. But such methods work well only in a VERY well controlled environment – and I strongly hesitate to recommend such tactics only because changes / errors are very VERY difficult to UnDo.

<>
    Soon a beta version of a controlled database <=> NewViews will be available. I’m in the last testing stages now. And it will easily allow Accounts Payable Multi User Entries and all users can see the changes immediately – but it is “Batch Update” to the NewViews books (because that is the way NewViews works)

As with most multi-user environments – Some type of information management must be in place, or the result is chaos. For Example – The AP entries must originate from NewViews or the Multi-user system – it should not be both.

However it is possible to have variations of a theme – but it should be controlled! For example, MU (Multi User) batch updates can be sent to NewViews – changes made to the AP – and overnight the MU is updated with changes from NewViews – such as Payments – etc. Then the oldest information might be 1 day old. Unless you’re doing the disbursements in MU also – then its all real time.

What I would like to see, is scanning payables – attaching the link to the correct AP – and when cheques are cut – all the scanned documents are linked to it – and sent to the Manager for approval. And with NV2 or my NV1.75 System – such would be possible.

(Oh-by-the-way) my system does not work without NewViews NV1.4

Regards
    David

HMah wrote:

> By the way many clients do use a modified NV1 procedure EXPALLTR to accomplish many of the above, but there are several restrictions. The main problem is that the exported entries will be duplicated if you back date entries and try to copy prior period dates.
    >
    > The EXPALLTR would work if there was a method of recording the entries as they were being made, rather than search for them after.
    >

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a client that has used seperate computer work stations for posting sales (sales journal) and purchases (purchase journal). A new account (journal ) is created for each batch of postings. About once a week the account is blockexported to a disk and block imported to the master set of books. It is important to be sure to add any new customer or vendor accounts to the master set of books before importing the weekly journals into the master set of books. This works quite well but you must be careful to not confuse which set of books is the master set of books. Periodically, I have them refresh the input set of books with a copy of the master set of books.

Richard Asher
    (way out in Los Angeles).

DEholnikof
    Participant

it has been said many times “There are many right answers, only one best answer !” It sounds like you have a “Right Answer” for your client – and “if it ain’t broke – don’t fix it ! “

But perhaps some hints could make it easier to do the IMEX (IMport / EXport) ?
    The real questions are about “Information Management” and multi-user, just makes it easier.

At a very simple level – you might want to consider the following?
    Workstations – assuming they do only data entry?
    For all workstations
    – They should have a “Template” Set of books only (Accounts but no transactions)
    – Put all new accounts on “New Vender” – “New Client” reports.

With a procedure
    – At the end of each “session” or day, run an “Export Procedure” to output all the New Reports
    – then move all the reports to a “Processed Report”
    – then export all the transactions, and delete them after the export.
    You have a “clean set of books again.

From the Main – Import the “new accounts” then the transactions & its easy to find because they’re on the “New Reports” list.

You can / could automate pretty much the whole procedure to run each night – even for the workstations with the help of some VB programs (or any VBA programs) that are “time and file” , aware. Of course, unless the “books” are on the network, each workstation must be left on.

But its food for thought !!

richasher wrote:
    > I have a client that has used seperate computer work stations
    > for posting sales (sales journal) and purchases (purchase journal). . . . . .

> Richard Asher
    > (way out in Los Angeles).

HMah
    Participant

Richasher:

For new Vendors I suggest you use the EXPSETUP procedure which is part of the basic NV. It will Import the new Accounts as well as the Notes Information. Of course you must import the accounts before the transactions.

As for the Ap & Sales Journal, I’ve found that when using an external set of books you should Delete the entries after the Import is complete. This way you can make the entries according to dates on the invoices and there will be no chance of duplication when transferring to the live set of books.

Finally I’d suggest the transfer be done Daily. This will keep the Live set of books current and eliminate the chance of loosing transactions if something unforseen happens.

DEholnikof
    Participant

Yup – I would agree with Henry.

It might be “low teck” but it certainly works – and the cost ? None !! Hard to beat that price !!

The only “gotcha” or weak point – is the dependency on a person doing it everyday, and doing it correctly.

Where as I would suggest automating the complete procedure & and then hooking it, to a timer to run on any schedule desired (with a log of course :-)
    But automation – ain’t free

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.