Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    BHeim
    Participant

I’m a long-time user of NV1 and I’d rather not upgrade to NV2 if I could solve my printer problem. As most know, the newer printers do not recognize DOS. I’ve called most dealers around my area and none know of any new printers that would be compatible.

Secondly, if I do have to switch to NV2…how similar to NV1 is it? Will my books still look and operate the same? I’m a bookkeeper and I will not have the option of taking any courses and there are no accountants in my area that use NV, except to do the year end work for my clients, so I’ll be on my own.

Thanks,
    Becky

DEholnikof
    Participant

Ah – you may want to consider using nvPRNq – it will allow you to print with any Windows printer (For NV1)

You can find more info at http://www.prgms.com

David

HMah
    Participant

There are still many printers which have a Parallel port, both Laser and Dot Matric.

For Dot Matric I like the Okidata 320I

For the Laser suggest HP1300, or Lexmark 232E

HMah
    Participant

There are still many printers which have a Parallel port, both Laser and Dot Matric.

For Dot Matric I like the Okidata 320I

For the Laser suggest HP1300, or Lexmark 232E
    Wanted to add HP1320 and Lexmark T420D, both have parallel ports and therefore can be used by NV1.

As QW mentioned in some of the posts you can assign a network printer to LPT1 by using the “net use lpt1: \(network)(printer name)”

As for switching, I’d wait till the program is fully functional and tested. As it stands you will notice a considerable difference from NV1 and I doubt you would be able to get the same productivity output.

Post Edited (02-08-05 15:11)

BHeim
    Participant

Thank you for your advice. I’ll stay where I am for now and have purchased a dot matrix printer.

Becky

DEholnikof
    Participant

Well – that certainly is a solution and will continue to be a good solution !

The only difference is that for 50$, nvPRNq lets you print to any printer connected to your computer or network.

Regards
    David

BMilner
    Participant

Sorry for the fact that this problem is not related rto the one discussed here, but it is a printer problem, nevertheless.
    The OS is XP Home Edition.
    Hardware: Presario VX6000, NO Printer Port, but plenty USB ports.
    Question: How to (re)direct output to the USB port–>printer?
    Suggestions: Appreciated
    Bill.

DEholnikof
    Participant

Ah – the nvPRNq program (spoken about here) can also print to USB ports. The critera is that your Windows can print to the “port” then nvPRNq can direct the NV1 output to the port.

IT works with LPT1, COM1, USB, Infrared, Dot matrix, InkJet, Laser and thermal printers using any Win 32 bit system. If you can print a MS Word doc to the printer, you can have nvPRNq also print to it. You can download a free 30 day demo from

http://www.prgms.com/newviews/nvprnq/beta4/files/nvprnq_beta4.zip

You can read about it at http://www.prgms.com
    It should solve your problem.

David

Post Edited (04-01-05 18:05)

RStebih
    Participant

For a MUCH cheaper solution, check out the program DOSPRN 1.77 located at:

http://www.dosprn.com

At only US$14.95 (~CAD$19.00), here is a quick blurb from the website:

“DOSPRN allows you to use a good old DOS program with new printers irrespective of their types (Yes, USB and network printers, print-servers, and PDF-printers too!)”

I use this program extensively for printing to pdf files. Cuts down on paper costs…

You also have the ability for setting up ESC-sequences allowing you to manage information layout being displayed by a printing device.

Rudy

Post Edited (04-03-05 14:02)

DEholnikof
    Participant

Hmm, yes it is cheaper, but it also does much less
    nvPRNq is designed to work with Newviews – from the ground up! As well as, it will let you design a page to have the look and feel, as from any MS Word Document, which includes changing fonts, colours and images – on the “fly” – while printing your NV1 Documents.

Something the DOSPRN program does not allow you to do. Of course if you only want simple printing (of 1 size of text) only – use the program. Or go find an old Dot Matrix printer – would do you as well.

Both let you print to all connected printers, because both are using the Windows Printing Sub System.

Additionally – you could print to a file, and then use your word processer to print any documents, from all DOS program.

Simply put, the choice is up to you!
    David

RStebih wrote:
    > For a MUCH cheaper solution, check out the program DOSPRN 1.77
    > located at:
    > http://www.dosprn.com
    > At only US$14.95 (~CAD$19.00), here is a quick blurb from the website:
    >
    > “DOSPRN allows you to use a good old DOS program with new
    > printers irrespective of their types (Yes, USB and network
    > printers, print-servers, and PDF-printers too!)”

>
    > Post Edited (04-03-05 14:02)

Post Edited (04-03-05 17:18)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.