Important Notice: Test your NewViews Books for Data Integrity
PLEASE NOTE: Some users reported the error “The Database Utilities command is under construction” when they tried to check the page integrity of their books as described in the original version of this post. The instructions below have been revised to circumvent this error.
All NewViews 2 and NewViews for Non-Profit Housing Users were recently sent a notice asking them to download and install version 2.34.6 (service pack 6) immediately. Once this has been done, we ask that you check the integrity of your data as soon as possible. If you don’t take this precaution, any data loss that may have occurred could go undetected for an extended period and may ultimately lead to your books being unrecoverable. These simple checks will verify the integrity of your data.
Instructions for three setups are provided below. Please follow the instructions for your specific setup:
- NewViews Data Hosting Service Users
- Single User Setup
- Multiuser Setup
NewViews Data Hosting Service Users
If you are using the NewViews Data Hosting Service, DO NOT download the update or check for data corruption. We have already installed NewViews 2.34.6 on our servers and your workstation will be updated automatically when you log in. We have also performed data integrity checks on all hosted databases and all have passed with no errors.
Single User Setup (perform the steps below for each database separately)
- Once version 2.34.6 has been downloaded and installed, run NewViews Database Utilities directly from the Windows Start menu. For NV2 users, this option can be found under NewViews 2.0 in the Start menu. for NewViews NPH users, this option can be found under NewViews Non-Profit Housing in the Start menu.
- Enter the name of the file to be checked (including the complete path) in the File field.
This can be done by clicking the file folder icon. If the correct file name appears in the pick list, you can choose it. If the file name is NOT listed in the pick list, click Browse and navigate to the file using Windows Explorer.
Alternatively, you can copy and paste the file name from a workstation login table (single user) or from a table of application databases served (multiuser) using Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V. Note: Make sure the books are closed and all users are logged out.
- Check page integrity by clicking the Run button for line 4.
- If no errors are reported, there is nothing more you have to do and you can resume working in your books.
Backing up your books regularly is essential! If the page integrity check is successful, we recommend backing up your books immediately. We also recommend doing a complete data integrity check of the books at your earliest convenience and running these checks on a regular basis (e.g. weekly) going forward.
If page integrity passes and you want to perform a full data integrity check without waiting to work in the books, use the File > Backup command to create a backup copy of the database. You can then do a full check on the backup file while working in the original books. Remember to rename the backup file extension to .nv2 and change the file name at the bottom of the database utilities prompt before you proceed with the data check.
If any errors are reported, proceed to step 5.
- If page integrity errors are reported in step 4, test whether your books can be reorganized using the command Reorganize > Test Reorganizable.
This is a new tool provided in version 2.34.6. It does not reorganize your books, it simply tests to see if your books can be reorganized successfully. Note that this procedure takes significantly less time than an actual reorganization. For example, we ran this tool on a 2 GB set of books and it took 3 minutes, compared to the 30 hours reorganization itself would take.
- If Test Reorganizable is successful, please reorganize your books to correct the page integrity errors.
IMPORTANT! DO NOT continue to work on your books until they have been reorganized. Working on books with page integrity errors can compound the problem and result in data loss that is unrecoverable.
If you have any questions or require assistance, please contact Tech Support at 905-946-9460 ext 1.
If Test Reorganizable is not successful, please contact Tech Support immediately for guidance on how to proceed.
IMPORTANT! Do not open or work on your books until you have consulted Tech Support. This will optimize any data recovery operations we may have to perform.
Multiuser Setup (perform the steps below for each database separately)
- In a multiuser environment, all data integrity checks must be performed by the server administrator on the server.
- Before performing these checks, you must ensure that all users are logged out – use the server connections table to verify.
- Run NewViews Database Utilities from the Windows Start menu, then perform steps 2 through 6 shown above for each database.
NOTE: The server database must be open locally on the server computer and not as a remote server database from a workstation.
- If you have any questions or require assistance, please contact Tech Support at 905-946-9460 ext 1.