Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BMiller
    Participant

Hello,

I was reading a bit about the File, Backup command, but I’m not sure how that is supposed to function.

What I think the manual is telling me is that if I run it from a Workstation, it will back up the workstation files.

I’ve tried to run it from the server, and it only backs up a 1,040 KB file. Should it not backup the books when run from the server?

Also, what is a recommended interval for running the database utilities?

Thanks
    John

MSchappler

Hello John,

The File > Backup command backs up the database that it is run from.

If you are issue File > Backup from a workstation, the current workstation is backed up. If issued on the server, the server.nv2 file is backed up. If you are in an application database and File > Backup is issued the application database is backed up.

I suggest that you perform database utilities at least one a week on every application database that you use. You can automate database utilities via batch files which allows you to perform database checks, repairs and reorganizations at set times using the windows task scheduler. See the Newviews Manual > Appendix D – Addvanced Topis > Batch Files for more details. This feature was introduced in version 2.16.

Regards to All,

Martin

BMiller
    Participant

Hi Martin,

If I’m being a bit thick with your explanation, please excuse me. ;-)

Regarding the backup, I read this in the 2.16 manual.
    ================================================
    Multi-user File Backups and Security

The File>Backup command is especially suitable for backing up files opened with multi-user access because there is no need for users to log out first. Users will see a progress window indicating that a backup is being performed, and they are simply paused until the backup is complete.
    ================================================

But, if I run backup on a workstation, it backs up the workstation files, and if I run it on the server, it backs up the server files.

If I want to use NV2 to backup the books, I need to shut down the server, and open them directly on that machine?

And, concerning the Scheduled Task Script, can that be run when the server is up but the books are not being accessed from the workstations?

Regards
    John

MSchappler

Hi John,

You can perform File > Backup in the application database in mutiuser. The backup target is the folder/directory where the application database (the books) exist. Check the rights of the user under System > User > The User under the Options button tab to verify the Multi-user Backup status.

Yes. The scheduled tasks can be run when the server is running and the books are not being accessed by user workstations.

Regards to All,

Martin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.