Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JWalter
    Participant

I’ve spent the last week or so working on the process to import and convert my old NV1 books into NV2. And, I am pretty confused.

I’ve been a long-time NV user, posting my first entries in 1988, but after waiting so long for a Windows version, I was forced by some associates to abandon NV for QuickBooks (Ugh) back in late 2001. So, despite being somewhat of an experienced user in 2001, I have forgotton a lot.

Now, I am seriously considering scrapping the VERY problematic QB, and returning to NV2. I would like to merge my old data with my new data.

I have exported my NV1 data several times, running ATYPE and TATYPE in varying amounts, with what seems (at least on the surface) as similar results.

The logic of where my data seems to have been placed in NV2 escapes me. MY AR, AP, etc data seems to have been placed in the ‘Account’ area, but the my journals have been placed in a subfolder of the journal area.

I cannot seem to figure out how to rearrange the folder tree on the left of NV2, nor reorganize any of the old data, which seems to be scattered about.

I would like to start entering new data, but would like to be sure that I have properly completed the export conversion process before I do so.

Help??

Thanks.

MSchappler

Look under NewViews > Report to view your NV1 reports from your home document. Click on the report to view and then when the window is setup, window select ( the drop down arrow on the top left hand corner of the top right window > Single Report).

You can enter you data under Reports, Journals, and Accounts. See the NewViews 2.08 Manual under Accounting > Accounts Payable to learn about entering AP Invoices, Accounts etc. Also review Report and its sub-folders.

Regards,

Martin

JWalter
    Participant

Thanks, but I guess my priority is to understand when I have completed an accurate Export/Conversion, so I can begin entering new data?

I’ve run the NVExport several times, with different amounts of AType and Tatype usage. It doesn’t seem to affect the number of warnings and errors that I am getting.

I have around 100 warnings, all related to questionable normal balances, and over a 1000 errors, mostly having to do with supposedly out of balance journal entries, all of which appear to be balanced.

As far as I know, my NV1 books are correct, and in balance.

Also, is it possible to rearrange the folder tree on the left side of the screen????

MSchappler

The warnings in regards to normal balances are alerting you that you may have ATYPE’d a credit normal balance account as an expense or debit normal balance account as a revenue (these are examples). These are warnings which do not prevent you from importing into NV2. If the imported accounts are correct and appear in the correct folder under NewViews > Account > Account Type, then they are correct.

The errors in regards to journal entries being out of balance is probably looking at the reference number of the entries and is trying to match the in and out entries together. If the journal indicated in dicated in the errors (displayed on the notes view of NVEXPORT) do not conform to reference matchig then you can move the particular journal off of the journal report (the journal chosen from the NVEXPORT procedure) to an report called NOTJR. Run NVEXPORT again and you will see the error numbers diminish. If none of the journals in the journal report chosen in the procedure NVEXPORT confirm to reference match then you can leave Journal report blank in NVEXPORT and run it again. See the help in the NV2 manual > Appendix C > Converting NV1 to NV2 > Exporting NV1 Data > Journals & Journal Entries for more information.

To verify that you have an accurate conversion, I would review the Income Statements and Balance Sheets from NV1 with NV2.

The Tree Explorer on the left is set to the order it is in. The sub reports within NewViews > Reports are arranged in description order. You can alter this by changing the descriptions under Sub Reports (window select).

Regards,

Martin

JWalter
    Participant

Thanks, I’m beginning to understand.

Could you please answer the following?

1. Even after running ATYPE and TATYPE on my NV1 books, I end up with warnings of type mismatchs. Do I need to rerun the two procedures until all of the warnings are gone, or should I simply correct (if necessary) them in NV2? Is that always possible?

2. The journal errors are just as you described, mismatches in the reference fields. My NV1 books are correct, and in balance, AND, the Income Statements and Balance Sheets match in NV1 & NV2. From this, it appears that the conversion process, despite the errors and warnings above, has been completed successfully. Do you agree?

3. The conversion process has built a directory tree in NV2, which shows Accounts at the top, followed by Journals, Payroll & Reports. All of my NV1 data appears to have been assigned to the various Accounts, as per my ATYPE procedure. However, my Journals in NV1 have been assigned to a subfolder of the General Journal… Journal>>General>>DOS NewViews Import>>Journal Accounts>> Is this correct? Can these NV1 Journals be merged with the NV2 created Journals, such as Bank, General, Purchase, Sales? Or, am I stuck with this seperation of Journals between NV1 data and new NV2 data. Am I missing something here?

MSchappler

I would correct the mismatching account types in NV1. Run ATYPE on posting accounts and TATYPE on total accounts. You do not need to run both. Once done, run NVEXPORT again.

They are correct if your Balance Sheet and Income Statement balance with your NV1 books. The errors and warnings are there for you to review and to correct if there are out of balances on a daily basis and if there is a mismatch in references numbers and suspicious dates. If you are in balance and are happy with the results then you can move forward.

No, you are not missing anything. The journals used in NV1 were placed in Journal > General > DOS NewViews Import > Journal Accounts for historical purposes. If you wish to use them, you can. I suggest that you use the NV2 journals instead.

Regards,

Martin

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.