Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    DJobin
    Participant

I went to the top object in the Database Explorer, where it shows: “/OBJECT – My Copmpany Address/Info”

I clicked on notes. The blue bar showed: “/OBJECT – Notes”

I entered some notes and then exited the books.

Next Time I went in, the Explorer was gone. I have tried “Window / New Database Explorer”, but now I have a “:deriveds explorer” window and I guess that all my personal settings are gone.

I then tried: “Window / Default Setup” – but I am back to an empty /OBJECT window.

I have made a backup of the file Workstation.nv2

This is not too much fun, if all my setting ares now gone.

MSchappler

Restore the workstation.nv2 backup. All of your workstation settings will be restored from the backup. The application database is intact.

Regards to all,

Martin

DJobin
    Participant

I restored the workstation.nv2 file

I looked to see if the notes I had entered were still there and yes they were.

I exited and lost the explorer.

I restored again the workstation.nv2 file.

I removed the notes and copied them under the /ACCOUNT folder exited, and the explorer was gone again.

I restored again the workstation.nv2 file.

I went into the books. I did not do anything and I exited. And everything was fine.

I made of new copy of workstation.nv2, since that one is good now. Went back, looked at the notes and exited. It was fine.

Back to the books, edited the notes. Exited and it worked again. The notes are now located in hew /ACCOUNT folder.

Went back to /OBJECT – Notes. Entered a few lines. Exited. And “The axplorer disappeared”.

Restored the workstation.nv2 again. Removed the notes under /OBJECT, exited. The explorer was gone.

Restored the workstation.nv2 again. Went back. Exited. It is fine.

So, it looks like placing or editing notes under /OBJECT is making the explorer disappear in my books.

MSchappler

What version of NV2 are you running? Click Help > About to confirm the NewViews version and service pack under NewViews Program.

I have attempted to duplicate your problem and have noticed a problem thus:

If I enter notes in any notes view and click the X button on the Workstation window the notes entered appear on return into the application database but then disappear after the loading application data message disappears.

If I enter notes in any notes view and perform one of the following and exit from the workstations close button

File > Save
    F5
    ALT X
    Close the application database by clicking on the X button of the books window

The notes entered remain upon entering the application database (books).

I cannot however make the database explorer disappear. Just the notes entered. I have traced this problem back to 2.08.18. How many database explorers do you have open in your application database and how different application databases to you have open from your workstation. Are you running in multiuser?

Regards to all,

Martin

DJobin
    Participant

I am running 2.14 SP 5.

I only use one Datbase Explorer. The baisic one created from day one, from 2.00.

I am not running in multiuser. I am always running one set of books at a time.

I just opened a different set of books, selected the top /OBJECT went to the notes view, entered some notes, selected File -> Exit NewViews – Alt-X and it worked fine.

I then went back to my regulat books, did the same and lost the explorer. It is strange as I just reorganized that set of books recently. Would I need to do it again?

And the problem only occurs when using the notes under /OBJECT, nowhere else.

MSchappler

When you say you have lost the explorer I’m assuming upon entering the application database you are faced with a pink desktop screen with no possiblity to navigate within the application database (the books).

If this is the case then zip up the workstation.nv2 and the database.nv2 files to a file called DJOBIN.ZIP and upload it to the following URL address for review:

ftp://ftp.qwpage.com/pub/incoming

Copy the zip file through windows explorer and then open the above URL in the explorer window and then right mouse click Paste to begin the upload.

I’ll review it and prevent it from occurring in 2.15.0.

Regards to all,

Martin

DJobin
    Participant

> you are faced with a pink desktop screen with no possiblity to navigate within the application database (the books).

Yes

DJobin
    Participant

Also, I made another test.

If I edit the notes, saves them and then change the “State” field in Logins Menu from open to closed the explorer does not disappear.

The explorer disappears when I issue “File -> Exit NewViews”

DJobin
    Participant

I have uploaded the file djobin.zip to ftp://ftp.qwpage.com//pub/incoming

MSchappler

Can you upload a copy of the workstation before the explorer disappeared?

Upload it to the above and call the workstation DJOBINW.ZIP

Regards to All,

Martin

DJobin
    Participant

I have uploaded the file. I am not sure if it worked. Is the file there for you to use?

MSchappler

Yes. I have the file and it is usable.

I can duplicate your problem. It appears you have set your explorer to display shallow instances. This method was discontinued in early 2006. I am currently testing to see if the workstation and application databases will convert to 2.15.0.

To remove the problem of the explorer tree from disappearing, you can run the following script from the workstation table by selecting Tools > Script Evaluate:

nv2.exe > system > database_id_set.qw_script

The above script will change the database ID of the application database and allow for default setup of a new window explorer to take place.

I’ll know more about the conversion of both databases by Monday.

Regards to All,

Martin

DJobin
    Participant

I did what you said and it works now.

But I have lost all the reporting view settings on all my reports.

MSchappler

The above script reset the windowing structure of the application database. Your other application databases are not affected.

You can restore the workstation prior to doing the database_id_set.qw_script and continue. The problem with the workstation you had uploaded had each account and report set as a separate instance explorer (independant of each other). Did you set this up on your own?

In converting your application database to 2.15.0, we’ve noticed that you have a bank journal setup under NewViews > Journal > Bank that is not a Deposit or a Payment journal. What type of journal is this? Should it be a Bank Deposit or Bank Payment journal or a General Journal? The 2.15.0 version will be disallowing journals that do not fit in Bank > Deposit or Bank > Payment. Could this journal be moved to NewViews > Journal > General?

If the journal is moved to Newviews > Journal > General, there may be a way of saving your original workstation from not disappearing when perform File > Exit NewViews.

Let me know.

Regards to all,

Martin

DJobin
    Participant

I have tried to move that journal under Journal > General but I get errors.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.