Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    THyland
    Participant

After I import a set of books into NV2 I cannot find the directory or database. I seem to see Demo Books only. The manual is not very helpful on how to proceed once import is complete.I open NV2, secect Open, select System, User, Administrator. Do I now press F3 or is are there other tasks I need to perform before I can access the imported set of books.
    If I want to copy the imported set of books to another computer I plan to use a zip drive. However what do I copy as there is no backup and restore on NV2. I need to copy as the set of books relate to our client. I plan to paste the copy onto their machine and let them get some practice.

MSchappler

In your NV2 workstation, press the insert key to insert a new row. Click on the directory directory field on this new row and press F3 to choose the path to the books. Navigate the Select Database Directory explorer and choose the books you had just imported from NV1 Import. An alternative would be to type in the path to the books manually in the directory field. See the NewViews 2.4 Manual > The Workstation for more information.

Use windows explorer and copy/paste the books folder to your zip drive. Within the NV2 books folder are at least three files that represent the data. The files are:

database.0
    database.qw
    database.hdr

If the NV2 books are very large, database.1 database.2 could be part of the NV2 books.

Regards,

Martin

THyland
    Participant

Thank you for the prompt reply. I have read the manual section a few times. Your explanation is more detailed.

IMPORT SET OF BOOKS IN SERVER ENVIROMENT.
    Our client runs a 2 workstations and a server(NV2). I assume I import from within the server and then grant access to workstations.

BHalpin
    Participant

No.

The import is accomplished by running Start | Newvoews 2.0 | NV1 Import (just as you did with the books you mentioned above.)

After the books have been imported they can be used in single-user mode, or offered through a server.

Bob Halpin

THyland
    Participant

Hi, I am having problems finding the imported books. I think I need to call tomorrow.Here is the background.We purchased 6 licences, used 5, have not registered Server yet.One client has a large set of books, located on his site.He has downloaded and paid for 3 licences, name Newell.
    I decided to do the import/export on my own laptop as a test.I have registered the workstation. However I also downloaded a 2nd NV2 on this laptop which I do not plan to register. So first I need to get rid of the 2nd version — How?.
    In my tests I also set up my registered copy as a server and offered the Demo books, so that I could do same for client.I imagine I also need to get rid of that facility. Pls tell me how?. Later this month I plan to download a Server version to our Server.
    I exported the set of books after eliminating errors and ran ATYPE/TATYPE, time 3 hrs+.Import to NV2 went fine, no probs. time 27 hours after compressing all data prior to 01 Sept 2005(year end 31 Aug).Import facility said NV2 which is correct.
    I cannot find the imported set of books.

Launch NewViews2 Workstation, enter workstation password.
    I get Line, Server,Directory, User(administrator)
    Press Insert and look for NV1 Import(no luck). I can see Demo books, cannot see any databases. I also looked in 2nd NV2 installation, just in case.
    I also typed in path c:/NV2/NV1 Imort and c:/NV2/Newell05, nothing, cannot find.
    I checked with Win Explorer and could not find anything that looks like NV1, newell or anything that looks like what I need.

Important
    I have just read the text file in NV2 called NV1_Nv2. This is dated 04 Sept and time 122 hours. This is an old import I did without compression. No sign of NV1_NV2 for 13 Sept 2005 at 27 hours.Perhaps this is my problem.

THyland
    Participant

Hi, I am having problems finding the imported books. I think I need to call tomorrow.Here is the background.We purchased 6 licences, used 5, have not registered Server yet.One client has a large set of books, located on his site.He has downloaded and paid for 3 licences, name Newell.
    I decided to do the import/export on my own laptop as a test.I have registered the workstation. However I also downloaded a 2nd NV2 on this laptop which I do not plan to register. So first I need to get rid of the 2nd version — How?.
    In my tests I also set up my registered copy as a server and offered the Demo books, so that I could do same for client.I imagine I also need to get rid of that facility. Pls tell me how?. Later this month I plan to download a Server version to our Server.
    I exported the set of books after eliminating errors and ran ATYPE/TATYPE, time 3 hrs+.Import to NV2 went fine, no probs. time 27 hours after compressing all data prior to 01 Sept 2005(year end 31 Aug).Import facility said NV2 which is correct.
    I cannot find the imported set of books.

Launch NewViews2 Workstation, enter workstation password.
    I get Line, Server,Directory, User(administrator)
    Press Insert and look for NV1 Import(no luck). I can see Demo books, cannot see any databases. I also looked in 2nd NV2 installation, just in case.
    I also typed in path c:/NV2/NV1 Imort and c:/NV2/Newell05, nothing, cannot find.
    I checked with Win Explorer and could not find anything that looks like NV1, newell or anything that looks like what I need.

Important
    I have just read the text file in NV2 called NV1_Nv2. This is dated 04 Sept and time 122 hours. This is an old import I did without compression. No sign of NV1_NV2 for 13 Sept 2005 at 27 hours.Perhaps this is my problem.

THyland
    Participant

Hi, IMPORTANT
    Just found the databases, my apology. The databases are in the old NV1 directory.
    Pls answer other questions and following.
    In old NV1 directory I have
    Newell05(Dir)
    Sub dirs and files.
    Backup(dir)
    database.hdr
    database.0
    database.qw
    NV1_NV2 file
    NV1_NV2 text
    NV copy
    NV1_NV2 totals info
    also
    Datad to datar(old NV1 files?)
    Which do I and can I move to NV2
    Tom Hyland

MSchappler

Tom,

To delete an NV2 installation, use windows explorer and right mouse click on the installation folder on the root of the particular hard drive and click delete. Go to your Recycle Bin icon on your desktop where you will see the delete folder and delete the folder from the recycle bin. Note: Make sure that you do not have a window menu NewViews 2.0 from your Windows > Start > All Programs > NewViews 2.0 pointing to this installtion. If so delete it from the menu by right mouse click delete on NewViews 2.0 (also delete from Recycle Bin).

To make the NV2 server stop offering the demo books, go to the NV2 server and on the top window pane you will see an entry (or row) pertaining to the demo books being offered. Click on that row and press Ctrl+Y (or right mouse click on a cell in that row and plus on Edit and click Delete) and Yes to delete the item from the database.

The files database.* are NV2 database files. The files datad.nv, datac.nv, datae.nv, and datap.nv are NV1 files (datad.nv is the NV1 books). NVCOPY belongs to NV1 (backup and restore program). The NV1_NV2 files where created when running NVEXPORT from NV1. These files are used when running NV1 Import from the NewViews 2.0 menu.

Regards,

Martin

BHalpin
    Participant

Re: You post of September 13, 2005 06:03PM

Question: Which [files] do I and can I move to NV2

You don’t need to move anything anywhere. The NV1 & NV2 files can occupy the same directory – there is no conflict between the versions whatsoever. If you want the NV2 files somewhere else then copy/move the database.0, database.hdr, & database.qw to the desired directory using Windows Explorer.

Bob Halpin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.