Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    GDewar
    Participant

Finally got my computer to accept the download only to discover it was 2005 amounts. I’ve always liked my NV but now I’m not so sure.

TThibodeau
    Participant

Sounds like you did not run getlib

From the payroll update site

Installing Payroll

1a. If you downloaded the payroll update file directly to your NewViews directory:

Run NewViews (do not open your books). In the NewViews Shell, highlight the “DOS Command” option and press [Enter] TWICE.

1b. If you downloaded the payroll update file to a floppy disk:

On the computer with your NewViews program, insert the disk containing the downloaded payroll update file into drive A:.

Run NewViews (do not open your books). In the NewViews Shell, highlight the “DOS Command”option and press [Enter] TWICE.

At the DO

S prompt that appears, type COPY A:*.exe and press [Enter].

If you are prompted with “Overwrite …?” type Y and press [Enter].

(This may happen if you have ever downloaded a payroll update in the past.)

2. Type your serial number and press [Enter].

Examples:

If your serial number is NV0087654, type 87654 and press [Enter]

If your serial number is NVR001234, type 1234 and press [Enter]

Canadian Payroll Users:

3. The payroll update library files are extracted from the download file.

If you see a message similar to:

PKSFX: (W18) Warning! README.PCD already exists. Overwrite?

press “A”.

4. Type EXIT and press [Enter].

5. In the NewViews Shell, select the “Books” option to open your books.

6. From anywhere in the books, run the GETLIB procedure. In the procedure prompt, type:

NV1PRCD1 (if you are using Canadian Cash Payroll)

or

NV1PRCD2 (if you are using Canadian Accrual & Cash Payroll)

7. Press [F5].

If you run payroll in other books, repeat steps #5 through 7 in each set of books to install the payroll update.

United States Payroll Users:

3. The payroll update library files are extracted from the download file.

If you see a message similar to :

PKSFX: (W18) Warning! README.PUS already exists. Overwrite?

press “A”.

4. Type EXIT and press [Enter].

5. In the NewViews Shell, select the “Books” option to open your books.

6. From anywhere in the books, run the GETLIB procedure. In the procedure prompt, type:

NV1PRUS1 (if you are using United States Cash Payroll)

or

NV1PRUS2 (if you are using United States Accrual & Cash Payroll)

7. Press [F5].

If you run payroll in other books, repeat steps #5 through 7 in each set of books to install the payroll update.

GDewar
    Participant

I printed of your instructions just in case I had not correctly read my own handwriting. I followed everything to the very end. When I tried to run payroll this is the message I got
    Warning: This payroll version contains tax tables for the year 2005.

Anything else you can think of for me to do.
    Thanks for all your help so far.

HMah
    Participant

GDewer:

When you download I suggest saving to a specific directory on your hard drive, Such as “nvpay”.

1. At the point of the download when it says OpenSave, select save.
    2. At the next screen click the Down Arrow, then Click C drive.
    3. When the C drive is displayed, click the top Icon for “New Folder”
    4. Type over New Folder with ie: nvpay
    5. Click OK
    6. When download is complete open Explorer and find the directory “nvpay”
    7. The file in there will be your serial number
    8. Double Click the file
    9. 5 other files will be created.
    10. Now copy these files to your NV directory or a Floppy disk.
    11. If you copied them to your nv directory, start nv
    12. Run GETLIB and type NV1PRCD1 (OR 2 for accrual), Enter
    13. The version should show 47 for accrual and I believe 51 for cash.

GDewar
    Participant

I’m getting more & more frustated with NV & this downloading. Nothing is working.
    The simplest solution is get a new disk & hope there is something on this one but I know that’s not going to happen because I’ve already paid my money & got nothing & QWPage are not going to send a new one.

I spoke to one of the companies we do business with today. They had no trouble downloading the download for payroll. If I gave them my serial # could they download it for me? but would it work.? I’m beginning to wonder if it’s because I’m downloading on one computer which has internet access & the one I want it on is Windows 3.1.

I think I’m near breaking point on this one. Does anyone know if I can get a printed copy of deductions from Revenue Canada? It means a lot more work for me but at least I’ll be deducting the correct amounts.

HMah
    Participant

Yes it will work. Remember that software like Norton Internet Security can prevent you from downloading and may have to be turned off.

GDewar
    Participant

I’ll try that. Thanks.

GDewar
    Participant

Yahoo! I went in today & tried to do a trial run so to speak on payroll. I expected the same situation as before but lo & behold I got a message about NVcd etc not compatible . I pressed what it said & there it went.
    I want to thank everyone who offer me advice. It really got me out of a jam.

BHalpin
    Participant

Footnote

These are the most common problems we solve when users have difficulty downloading their payroll update:

– The file is saved to the wrong place, ie: not the NewViews program directory. Then, when you log into the correct directory, the file either isn’t there, or *last year’s* version is there and they mistakenly execute it. The result in the latter case is reinstalling last year’s payroll.

– They change the name of the file in the “Save In” dialog, and then don’t remember the name. Now it is truly lost and you have to download again.

– The file is saved to the desktop – and when you double-click it the files are extracted, but to where? Probably some path that starts with “Documents and Settings …”

– It’s fatal to navigate the “Save In” dialog to the NewViews Directory and then double-click on the NV program file. That causes the downloaded file to replace NV.EXE – and your NewViews will no longer run at all (you have to reinstall it.)

– They save the file to last year’s payroll update disk, then GETLIB the library as usual. The result is last year’s payroll again.

– All goes well, but the books are on a network drive and NewViews is installed on multiple local drives. When another user opens the books and tries to run payroll they get the incompatible version error because the books expect the current version of payroll, but last year’s version is what is in their program directory. (Solution – copy the three library files *from* the 1st computer to the NV program directory of each other machine.)

It would be nice if we could make the process simpler, but we really can’t (this is DOS after all.) Supplying more instructions would probalby be counter-productive – the longer they get the more people are less likely to read them.

Bottom line – if you have a problem, don’t get get frustrated – call Support.

Bob

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.