Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    EHing
    Participant

How can i import data from our program so that i don’t need to re-encode it to NV2? Can i also import Excel File or Text file in NV2 just like what i’m doing in NV1 ?

Thanks

KLyn
    Participant

We can only import a complete set of books exported from of NV1. The import feature that allows importing from 3rd party programs is complete and is in the testing stages. It will be available in the next several weeks.

Kirk

THyland
    Participant

We are a firm of accountants in Ireland. In 2002 we had to convert all NV1 data to EURO with a procedure from QWP. When I first ran the conversion procedure for NV2 I got 1500 errors. I soon discovered this was due to rounding errors conveting a 10 year period(to EUROS) on a big set of books.The only solution seemed to be; correct all the rounding errors, very time comsuming. That first conversion took 2 days. I now have that time down to 5 hours and nil errors.This is on a backup copy of the clients books. I now have to show the client how to manually fix all the rounding errors.
    Any suggestions for a short cut on the rounding exercise?.( errors are all cents)

ATYPE and TATYPE.
    I have a few questions.
    What classification is a loan accounr on Balance Sheet or Trial Balance. What is share capital, prior year adjustment,Profit or Loss on sale of asset,We have Bank as normal balance “credit” which I code to bank. This gives me a warning. I am aware of the “general” category but worried that overuse will cause problems in NV2.If I follow the QWP Conversion Plan do I have to ATYPE and TATYPE everything on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th week. Is there any way I can convert the incremental entries/transactions only on weeks 2, 3 & 4.

Import into NV2.
    What is this indexing stuff, I see nothing in the manual about indexing. The manual seems short on what you get after import into NV2.
    The conversion now down to 5 hours. Ran the import into NV2 last night, still running after 12 hours. Am I doing something silly, no errors reported. All this work on a backup copy of the clients books. Now I have to show client how to follow the QWP Conversion Plan. He will go craxy having 5 hours conversion and perhaps 2 days import to NV2 and I still do not know what I will get once import is complete.I am zipping stuff on the import, leaving 4 years with all details.

HMah
    Participant

THyland:

Glad to see your post, but for immediate help I’d call or email QW Page. Their usually availble on the spot to help.

Let us know what solution(s) you come up with and the end result of your conversion.

MSchappler

Where these rounding errors found in an account on a journal report specified next to journals in the NVEXPORT prompt? Is this account a journal? If it is not a journal but was found on the journal report move it to another report and rerun NVEXPORT again.

The accounts you had mentioned are General Account types. If the account in question does not fall into one of the eight account types listed in ATYPE or TATYPE then it is a General account type. By default accounts that are not ATYPE’d are general accounts. You cannot overuse any account types.

The warning in regards to your bank account being a credit normal balance is just a warning. Usually bank accounts are debit normal balances. You can quickly change the normal balance in NV2.

Once the accounts have been ATYPE’d properly you do need to ATYPE them again. The conversion plan referring to the different weeks is referring to running NVEXPORT. NVEXPORT exports all transactions in the books, you cannot export weekly transactions to an existing NV2 database.

Information about indexing in NV2 can be found by reviewing the NewViews 2.04 manual and click on the search tab. Type indexes and press enter. You will see a list of manual pages below Select Topic which you click on to get information quickly about indexes on the particular page.

To make the NV1 Import shorter, set the transaction compression date to say Jan 1, 2005. This way only 8 months of transactions will import in full detail. You can decompress the past transactions later. I suggest that you have a gigabyte of RAM on your system.

Regards,

Martin

THyland
    Participant

Thank you for the help which was most useful. The rounding errors have been corrected. The client had set up an account called Jour in journals. This account Jour had over 10 years of history and seemed to be generating many of the 1500 errors. In my own test I purged this account. On a 2nd test after I moved Jour to Trial Balance.
    If I compress as you suggest on import into NV2, how do I un compress. Some help in the manual.
    Tom Hyland
    Galway
    Ireland

MSchappler

Tom,

I have pasted the help on decompressing transactions from the NV2 manual below. The help can be found in the NV2 Manual by clicking on the plus next to Appendix B – NV1 Users > Converting NV1 to NV2 > Decompressing Transactions.

Regards,

Martin

DECOMPRESSING TRANSACTIONS

Compressed transactions are recorded in Journal/General/DOS NewViews Import/Compressed Transactions. A summary debit and/or credit entry is posted to each account for each month prior to the “Begin Full Detail” date, and a balancing entry is posted to GENERAL account “COMPRESSED_TRANSACTIONS”.

To decompress summary transactions, mark a block of transactions and issue the Tools>Script Evaluate command. A prompt window to select a script file name is presented. If you installed NV2 in c:/nv then select the script:

c:/nv/nv20.exe/object/newviews/journal/general/decompress_transactions.qw_script.

If you installed NV2 in another directory, substitute c:/nv with the appropriate directory.

Transactions should be decompressed “bottom up”, meaning start with the most recent date and work backward.

THyland
    Participant

Thank you for the explanation. I had read the manual, your instructions are more detailed and clearer.
    Tom Hyland

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.