Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    NMills
    Participant

Is it recommended that on a local area network that the users run their workstations with direct access to the data (ie requiring read and write privileges to the folders where the data is stored)
    OR
    Run the server component on a separate PC and force all local users to access the data though it (I presume that only the server would require direct acccess to the data).

BHalpin
    Participant

It’s totally up to you.

However, the 1st example you give implies that you are running in single-user mode, ie: the user is directly opening the books on a shared drive on another computer – there is no NewViews server program in the mix. In this case the user would require access to the data.

To operate in multi-user mode your presumption is correct – the individual users do not require any direct access (rights) to the drive/folder the books are stored in. Only the server needs access to the files.

I hope that answers you question, but feel free to ask again if I simply confused things further.

Bob Halpin

NMills
    Participant

Bob :

So … you need to run the server component if you have multiple users – you can’t have muliple users running in single user mode accessing a shared set of books.

BHalpin
    Participant

No,

For multiple users to access a shared set of books *simultaneously*, a server must be running.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.