Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    DEholnikof
    Participant

To QW Page:

An Open Letter:

Currently you allow 3 Licences for CC’s.
    However in our group, there are several of us and we are located in different cities. Without purchasing more, it is not enough for our office.

Not to even mention that almost all CC’s use a Workstation and Laptop for travel. Under your plan, they would need 2 licences and 1 for the Server. Ergo only one person in the office has use of NV2.

While we all have network connectivity ( Internet ), 3 is just not enough. Considering you want to attract larger clients, you should expect the Accounting Office of the CC’s to become larger also.

Given that the end clients never share the CC’s licences, why can’t you increase the Licences to 5 or 10, or for that matter 100 to unlimited?

Or perhaps I misunderstood the basic plan, and the purpose is to make extra money from the CC’s? As it stands, a single practitioner requires a minimum of 3 licences and the client needs 1 ( or 2 if a server is used). Not a bad deal for you, to service a client, 5 licences are needed.

Do you expect many small business currently using NV1 to leap at making these changes? I think not.

Additionally – for larger clients, they are unlikely to use NV2 as a database when each user is required to have an expensive annual licence. In fact, they are likely to build Window Applications where many users connect to 1 NV2 Licence instead.

I’m not sure that I know of a better plan, but certain this one is very restrictive – to say the least.

What are the future plans for making it more friendly for the users, if any?

David

Post Edited (04-27-05 00:31)

administrator
    Participant

CC’s that participated in NV2 training at our office were offered 3 days of training, 3 licenses (i.e. serial numbers), and free updates for those 3 licenses for the first year after the ship date (which turned out to be April 25, 2005).

Q.W. Page provided the training, pre-release versions for more than a year, and 3 serial numbers of the finished product.

We are not in business to “make extra money from the CC’s”, per se. But we are in business to make money from all NV2 users.

Three licenses was the number offered because this is the minimum number required to test, use and support multi-user NV2.

We suspect the biggest source of confusion is evident in the phrase “to service a client, 5 licences are needed”. Technically, no licenses are needed to service a client. If a client has NV2 (one, or more licenses), any assistance can be provided. If a CC wishes to access a client’s books, this can be done using any of the three licenses provided to CC’s (either on the client’s site, or via the Internet – as long as the client is running a server).

Let’s be perfectly clear about this point… Any serial number (running as a workstation) can log into any serial number (running as a server and offering databases). Therefore, a CC requires only one serial number to access every client’s database(s). A CC does not need a new serial number for each client serviced. In the example given, the client would purchase 2 licenses – the CC does NOT need to purchase anything. Ditto for the next client, and so on.

To push the point to it’s logical conclusion, a single user client can boot their serial number as a server and offer their database(s) via the Internet to the CC. The CC can work in the database(s), and after logging out, the client can shut down NV2 running as a server and reboot NV2 as a single-user system, and continue as normal on the serviced database(s).

As for larger clients, these companies typically have the resources to purchase several copies of NV2, and given the robust features and capabilities of multi-user NV2, it’s a bargain. NO technology we are aware of can do what multi-user NV2 does, at any price. And annual maintenance, though strongly recommended, and necessary to receive free upgrades, is not mandatory.

Given that it took 10 years to develop NV2, we had some time to ponder our licensing and business practices. We think they are fair and reasonable.

Q.W. Page

Post Edited (04-27-05 18:03)

EHing
    Participant

I’m a new NV2 user, can we register thru the internet ? How can we make my database to be accesse as multi-user if i already had license? Is there a guide on the settings ?

EHing
    Participant

I’m a new NV2 User. What are the settings needed to make our database accessible as multi-user ? What are the settings on the server side and workstation? Can we register thru the internet ?

Thanks.

MSchappler

Yes. You can register through the internet. Click on register from the NewViews 2.0 windows Menu which will display a lock number on your screen. Leave this screen running until you have received a key number from Q.W. Page Associates Inc. Send a email to support@qwpage.com with the subject Registration Request. Include in your email the following details:

1. The lock number displayed on your screen.
    2. Your first and last name.
    3. The name of the company that purchased NV2.
    4. The type of machine NV2 was installed on. For example:
    a. A laptop machine
    b. A desktop machine
    c. A server machine.

5. Your NewViews for DOS serial number or your NV2 serial number which would have been provided at the time of purchase.

To obtain your NewViews for DOS serial number, go into your NV1 books and issue /Go runProc (/GR) SUPPORT and press enter. Your NewViews serial number will be displayed.

In regards to your workstation and server settings, I have answered your question in the NV2 in this forum under New NV2 User. You had asked the same question there.

Regards,

Martin

Post Edited (07-19-05 18:06)

EHing
    Participant

Thanks!!! I have succesfully registered our NV2.

EHing
    Participant

I’m just an I.T. staff and i was assign to explore w/ the installation and conversion of NV2. I don’t have any idea about the accounts? Is there a problem if i didn’t run the ATYPE procedure before i execute the nvexport ?

Thanks

Post Edited (07-27-05 02:13)

MSchappler

Yes. You must run ATYPE or TATYPE on your accounts before running NVEXPORT. I suggest that you have an accounting person on your end read the NewViews 2.03 manual Appendix B – NV1 Users – Converting NV1 to NV2.

Also, I suggest that you review the conversion forum postings here in the NV2 Forum.

Regards,

Martin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.