Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    CKunz
    Participant

I have just recently moved my books from a 386 to XP home laptop. Although it works fine but I can’t print to any printer or copy the files to a CD as it’s looking for an A drive. I have a writable CD drive. Please help…. my job depends on this!

MSchappler

Run NewViews and cursor down to Options and press enter. Press enter on Diskette drive which by default comes with A: – change it to your CD ROM drive and press enter. This will work if you have a program installed on your system called Direct CD which writes files to a CD using backup books.

If you do not have this program or can not find it. You can still backup your books to a CD-R or CD-RW CD by using windows explorer on your system. Open windows explorer and copy the books folder (right mouse click copy) and then navigate to the CD ROM drive and right mouse click Paste. CLick File > Burn to begin burning the backup to the CD.

As for printing, ensure that your printer can print from DOS and it is connected via a parallel cable (connected to LPT1). If it is connected via a USB port and or the printer is windows only you can try to create a share name for printer icon on your system by clicking the sharing tab under your windows start button > printers and faxes > your printer and right mouse click properties. WHen the properties window appears, click the sharing tab and share the printer and specify a share name. For example HP1200 might be a share name you could enter.

Once done, open a command prompt (windows start > All Programs > Accessories) on your system and enter the following and press enter:

net use LPT1 \computer nameHP1200 /PERSISTENT:YES

The command must return successful if your are going to use LPT1 as file name in your Print Options (/PO). Note, computer name above can be obtained by right mouse clicking on your My Computer Icon on your desktop and clicking properties.

There are third party printing programs available if you are unable to get the sharing to work on your system. Below is a list from which you can choose from and you can also search the web for others.

Regards,

Martin

Below are links to some programs that were written to combat the recent issues with Windows only and USB printers not printing from MS-DOS programs. These programs are not written or supported by Q.W. Page Associates. We are providing these links ONLY as a service to our NewViews users who have a printer that will not understand MS-DOS print jobs.

DOSprn

http://www.dosprn.com

Prnt

http://www.en-consult.ca/prnt

Printfil

http://www.printfil.com

DOSPrinter

http://www.geocities.com/dosprint

DOS2USB

http://www.dos2usb.com/

CKunz
    Participant

Hello Martin

Well I folowwed your instructions as much as I could. However when I go to ‘backup books’ I get this message.
    error:can not preparfe E: cause unknown dos error code 18. Then I click esc and I get another message: NV copy.exe encountered error 5.

OK so I’ll try the print instruction then. Gone as far as accessories but all 15 choices will not allow an oportunity to type anything.

It seems that my laptop XP is more condusive for media etc. and not for working folks like myself.

If you have any further suggestions I would very much appreciate it, as my accountant is waiting for me to give him either a disk or a printed copies.
    Cheers
    C. Kunz,

MSchappler

Insert a blank CD in CD ROM drive and click on the My Computer Icon on your desktop and navagate to your C drive, double click on your NV folder. You should see the a folder that pertains to the name of your books. Right mouse click on the folder and click copy. Navagate to your CD rom drive and on the white back ground representing the drive contents roght mouse click paste. A copy of the folder from your NV folder will appear. Click File > Burn. You will now have a backup on your CD.

If you cannot get the sharing to work on your system then try one of the third party printing programs mentioned above.

Regards,

Martin

THubley
    Participant

It would seem appropiate to me that with all the users that have had problems with not boing able to print from New Views with USB that QW page would give better support on their updates. I have spent many hours trying 3rd party fixes for this problem and it seems that many others are as well.
    regards
    Todd

SGallo
    Participant

I agree. I have been using NV for 15 years and happy with the “black and white” edition. I know that Q.W. Page wants to sell the Windows version, but they owe it out of a sense of corporate pride to their customers to issue a USB print file.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.