Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    CGireth
    Participant

Hi,

We recently upgraded our PCs and Windows to XP and the latest hardawre. NV1.41b runs well under DOS or Command windows, but when it comes to printing, we experience a long delay before the printer responds, usually around 40sec. I must add, that our other ODS programs are also experiencing this problem. yet when we issue the commend DIR> LPTS, the printer responds almost instantly. Just for the record, the each PC on the LAN has its own dedicated printer that is not shared.

I have tries [START; Control Panel; Preinters; My Printer; Properties; Advanced: Print directly to printer], without luck. Any suggestions?

Cheers
    Charles Gireth
    Australia

CGireth
    Participant

Hi,

Soory folks, but I forgot to add that our printers are connected to the parallel ports of the PCs

Cheers
    Charles Gireth

HMah
    Participant

What brand of printers are you using?

TThibodeau
    Participant

I have found that inside the books in print options if you type “LPT1” for a file name the printer works better.

CGireth
    Participant

HMah:

Epson 5800 and 5900

TThibodeau: Whe have nominated LPT1 as a matter of course ever since we have used NV1, that is 1989.Also it is a problem we have encountered with all of our other DOS applications.

Thank’s for your suggestions, but I suspect that the problem lies with XP, how it is configured.

Cheers
    Charles

HMah
    Participant

The epson is a laser printer, maybe you can add a @ff at the bottom of the template to execute the form feem command. You might want to see if there is a ff command which can be added to the setup line as well.

CGireth
    Participant

Hi HMah

Thanks for your suggestion. It improved things a bit but the proble remained. In the end, I found this on the web and it worked:

http://www.resortdata.com/Customers/knowledge/kb-dos/K000036.htm

Cheers
    Charles

FSaldana
    Participant

I have had this problem as well for a long time (on windows 98) using an HP Laser Printer.

I don’t know if my problem is in any way related to yours, but in my case:

1) If I am prining more than one statement (for example) the printin kicks out immedately; or
    2) If I issue the Print command and then immedately exit NV1, the printing begins immedately.

In other words, the delay only is encountered when I am trying to print out exactly 1 item.

Do you know if your problem responds in the same manner?

In may case it is just a minor annoyance and inconvenience.

CGireth
    Participant

Hi Saldana,

I have not encountered your problem because we use Epson laser printers. However, and apart from editing the Registry as outlined in my post of Jan 23, the only thing that come to my mind are:

a) The printer driver; and
    b) have you included /mt in your command for opening the books? If not, NV1 can slow down the computer fairly dramatically

Best Regards
    Charles

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.