Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    GSullivan
    Participant

I have a network printer that I would love to get newViews to print to. It is a simple peer to peer network and a Lexmark forms printer.

I currently use the the Lexmark when printing from the computer NewViews is installed on from NewViews, when that computer is in use I would like to print to the Lexmark through NewViews from the peer computer.

So far I have come up blank on getting it to print from the peer computer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Geneva

HMah
    Participant

What version of Windows are you using? If Win98 go to Network Neighborhood properties and place a YES to Share Printers & Files. Then go to Printers and Right Click your Lexmark printer and Click Share. Give it a name to share as.

Then you should be able to install a new printer on the other computer, select Network printer then Browse to find the Lexmark.

Should work fine.

BHalpin
    Participant

If the systems are NT/XP/2000 then the “NET USE” command will probably get you going.

See my post of 03-02-04 under the “Configuring Printer” thread for more on this.

Bob

DEholnikof
    Participant

Hi,

if you’re using the nvPRNq – you can do this in a few simple steps.
    1 Map your network printer to the local workstation.
    2 Make the network printer your default.
    3 Launch the nvPRN program – then NewViews

Assuming you can print any other document to this printer, then NewViews with the nvPRN can also.

You can get a free demo at http://www.prgms.com/newviews/nvPRNq/Beta2/index.html

Regards David

GSullivan wrote:

> I have a network printer that I would love to get newViews to
    > print to. It is a simple peer to peer network and a Lexmark
    > forms printer.
    >
    > I currently use the the Lexmark when printing from the computer
    > NewViews is installed on from NewViews, when that computer is
    > in use I would like to print to the Lexmark through NewViews
    > from the peer computer.
    >
    > So far I have come up blank on getting it to print from the
    > peer computer.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Geneva

HMah
    Participant

Hi David:

Can you reduce the 10sec dalay, when using nvPRNq, before the printing actually starts?

DEholnikof
    Participant

HMah wrote:

> Hi David:
    >
    > Can you reduce the 10sec dalay, when using nvPRNq, before the
    > printing actually starts?
    >

Yes, There are actually 3 separate features which effect how a job is submitted to the Windows Print Queue. There are two background events always occurring (for nvPRNq). Keep in mind, they are using “Timer Events” and only perform a task when the timer clicks (more like a repeating “alarm clock”). The minimum time event is 1 second – so the fastest any job can begin “printing” is 2 seconds. However, we have no control over the speed/time once the Windows print queue receives the print job.

There is a simple way to check timer settings. Double click the “Book with the red arrow” (in the middle) and a box will pop-up showing you the current settings.
    =============
    The DirScanFreq decides how often to look for a new print job (in seconds).

The SpoolerTimeOut decides how “Old” a job must be, before sending it to the Window’s Print Queue. “Old” is defined as having received no more input from NewViews.

The NoHogCPU forces the program to “wait its turn” with all the other windows programs. Regardless of the setting, it rarely consumes more than a few percent of the CPU cycles. This is really useful when printing LARGE Jobs (like 50 pages).

Installed with the nvPRN.exe program, you should have an INI file called “nvPRNq.ini”
    NOTE: IT must have the same name as the exe file to work correctly.
    nvprnq.exe
    nvprnq.ini

With any word/text processer, add or modify the 3 lines below

DirScanFreq=1
    SpoolerTimeOut=1
    NoHogCPU=0

Perhaps more detail than you wanted, but . . . . I will promise to be more “short” in the future :-)

I Hope this helps
    David

HMah
    Participant

Thanks David, I’ll check it out.

GKolia
    Participant

What I do is print to a file, then import this file into Word, and then print from MSWord document

DEholnikof
    Participant

There are a few solutions to the printing problem – I’ve setup lots of customers doing exactly what you do.

But I like better being able to have some control over the templates – and being able to control the graphic files as well as type size – directly from the NV Template. Then I get consistant results – especially when having to print 100’s or 1000s of documents. (not really something I want to do from Word)

GKolia wrote:
    > What I do is print to a file, then import this file into Word,
    > and then print from MSWord document

RSingh
    Participant

Hi David,

I am trying to print mid year date but the date keeps going back to Jan1-

The Year End Is set to dec 31.Why is it that I am unable to run reports with dates eg Jul 31-aug 1

DEholnikof
    Participant

Hi,
    NewViews keeps the past 24 months as current. You can select any beginning or ending date by month. Prior to 24 months, it is only by the year. This limitation will be removed in NV2

Hope this helps
    David

RSingh wrote:
    > Hi David,
    > I am trying to print mid year date but the date keeps going back to Jan1-
    > The Year End Is set to dec 31.Why is it that I am unable to run reports with dates eg Jul 31-aug 1

HMah
    Participant

Use the “Report” Procedure to print reports for any date range (not restricted to BegEnd of Month or year restrictions).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.