Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    KMacKay
    Participant

I am using a laptop to post to my New Views books. However, the printers installed are for a serial port and my laptop has a USB parallel port.

How do I install my new printer so that I can print from my laptop.

Thanks. email to kmackay@outingclub.com

MSchappler

There are many NV1 forum postings regarding this problem. Search through the postings about using the NET USE command from a command prompt on your system and or the third party printing programs that redirect output from DOS programs to windows only / USB printers.

Regards,

Martin

KMacKay
    Participant

As for printing, ensure that your printer can print from DOS and it is connected via a parallel cable (connected to LPT1). If it is connected via a USB port and or the printer is windows only you can try to create a share name for printer icon on your system by clicking the sharing tab under your windows start button > printers and faxes > your printer and right mouse click properties.

WHen the properties window appears, click the sharing tab and share the printer and specify a share name. For example HP1200 might be a share name you could enter.

I followed the above instructions, however, I only get to the sharing tab which then asks me to set up a Network. I am not on a network.

I can’t find where it asks me to specify a share name.

Karen

MSchappler

When you follow the window prompts to set up this network (even though you are not on a network) you will be asked for a share name for this printer.

Martin

HMah
    Participant

If printer is installed:

Right Click the Printer
    Left Click Sharing
    Left Click Share this Printer
    Accept or Type over the Name
    Left Click OK

Then exit and go to Dos Prompt and type NET USE LPT1: //(computer name(printer)

MSchappler

Don’t forget /PERSISTENT:YES – For example:

net use LPT1 \computer nameprinter /PERSISTENT:YES

The above is for windows XP, for windows 2000 use the follow:

net use LPT1 \computer nameprinter /PERSISTENT:Y

Regards,

Martin

JBesMargian
    Participant

I’ve tried the suggested solutions, however, I keep getting the following:

System error 67 has occurred.

The network name cannot be found.

I use PRESARIO for my Computer name and NEWVIEW1 for the Share Name.

Thanks for your help.

HMah
    Participant

Right Click on My Computer then Computer Name. Full Computer Name is shown.

Bring up Printers and Right click on printer, then Sharing. Share name shown.

are those the same as PRESARIO & NEWVIEW1

MSchappler

Here is an excellent link to configure your system to redirect printing.

http://www.amsat.org/amsat/instanttrack/xp-printing/index.html

Regards,

Martin

THubley
    Participant

I have been forced to get a new printer ( Brother MFC-240C ) which is a great printer and tried the steps above to get it to print from New Views but it did not work so I went to a recommended site http://www.amsat.org/amsat/instanttrack/xp-printing/index.html which basically says the same thing but it looked like it was sucessful but I still can’t get it to print.
    Please herp
    Thanks
    Todd

TThibodeau
    Participant

Most Brother MFC printers will not except plain text. I have one that has both usb and parallel ports but will not except ascii code.

The last ones I have found that would work were HP Deskjet 900 series. I have 3 used ones waiting for my customers to need them.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.