Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    SKoning
    Participant

I’ve just bought a new computer with Windows 7 installed and I’m trying to access a set of books (I have several) installed on a netwrk server hard drive. I’ve mapped a network location to a drive letter (drive N) and I can see the directories on drive N that contain my books. However, when I select one of them to try to open it I get NewViews error message #7 with Internal Error ZR as the reason code.

Has anyone else had this problem? What do I do to solve it?

HMah
    Participant

Is it a 32bit or 64 bit version of win7? NV only works with 32bit.

SKoning
    Participant

Sorry – should have included that in my first message. It’s 32-bit Win7.

HMah
    Participant

Can you copy data from the Win7 to the N drive?

SKoning
    Participant

I just tried copying to and from the N drive on the Win7 machine using Windows Explorer and that worked without a problem. One of the things I copied to the Win7 machine were the NV1 data files. I ran NewViews and tried to access the local copy of the data files on drive C. That resulted in the same error message (error #7 – code ZR). I think I’ve now eliminated the network and drive N as a source of the problem.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

MSchappler

ZR = The Zero Address was lost.

Backup the datad.nv file and reorganize the books from the NewViews shell. Check the NVREORG.LOG for the journal report to select when prompted for File or Journal Report. If JR then enter JR and press enter. Answer Y to proceed without a backup as you did a backup above.

If the books cannot reorganize then you may have to upload the datad.nv file for data recovery.

Regards to All,

Martin

SKoning
    Participant

I have now completed the following:
    a) backup data files on original machine (Toshiba laptop running WinXP) – NewViews runs fine on this machine
    b) run reorg on data files on original machine (no errors)
    c) copy data files and NewViews program files from original machine to a USB stick
    d) copy data files and NewViews program files from USB stick to new machine (Lenovo desktop running Win7)
    e) run NewViews program files on new machine (seems OK – can get to NV shell)
    f) attempt to access data files on new machine – generates an immediate error 7 Internal Code ZR
    g) attempt to run reorg on new machine (works OK for export phase & creating empty set – generates error 7 internal code ZR as soon as the reload books phase starts – counters are all zero except for Home = 1/-, Reports = 3/3, Text = 1/-)

I have another Win7 machine at home. I will take the USB stick home this evening and attempt steps d through g on that machine and report results here later.

SKoning
    Participant

I have now completed steps d through f on another Win7 computer with the exact same results. The attempt to access the data files generated an internal error #7 – code ZR. (I didn’t attempt the reorg – assumed it would also generate the ZR error.)

However, this machine was originally a Windows Vista machine that was upgraded to Win7. When I tried to access the same data files with a copy of the NewViews program that was copied onto the machine prior to the upgrade (i.e. the program files were copied onto the machine under Windows Vista not under Win7) then I was able to gain access to the data files without any problem (the exact same data files that generated the error when using the program files that were copied under Win7).

So, it would appear that the problem arises due to the way that the program files are copied under Win7. The only thing I think of is that I am copying the program files to a subdirectory of C:Program Files and there is a message that comes up saying I need Administrator access to complete the copy. I just click the Continue button on that message. Perhaps I should be doing something different?

Any assistance would be appreciated!

SKoning
    Participant

OK – it’s got something to do with the security permissions on the NewViews program folder. When I copied the program files to a folder that was in the root directory and executed NV.EXE from there everything worked fine. Then I copied the program files from that directory to a sub-folder of C:Program Files (clicking Continue on the adminsirator prompt) I got the error. I then looked at the properties of the folder under C:Program Files and changed the “Read & Execute” permission on my account to “Full Control”. Everything then worked.

For future reference …

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.