Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    THyland
    Participant

We use Win 2000 & Win XP on a NT network. I have tried using the net use commands with no success. The command DIR > lpt1 works fine and prints the directory listing. When we try to print from NV we get the message ” cannot write to the file specified in print options”. Print Options specifies LPT1.
    Please can you tell me the DOS command to disconnect LPT1 to \ntserverhplaserj. I want to start again & try these commands. When I use the net use command I get the message “LPT1 already in use”. The strange thing is my own machine is on the same network with Win 2000P and no problem printing from NV. I would appreciate some help.
    Tom Hyland
    Galway,
    Irealnd.

DEholnikof
    Participant

Well, if you were asking me – I’d put my plug in for using my nvPRNq program, which is designed to painless enable such things

– as printing to any network printer that the local windows workstation can see.

Regards
    David

PS – I do recall, from a few years ago having similar problems with NT & HP – where the text came out garbled (if it came out at all). Microsoft had a fix for this – but I no longer recall where or what.

THyland
    Participant

Hi,
    I have downloaded the file nvPRNqDemo, I followed all the instructions including the detail notes. I have also read most of the messages re printing from NV. Sadly no success.Perhaps you can help.
    I try to print a report from NV using the usual commands. Some success here as the procedure seems to be printing but nothing appears on either printer(Printers are connected to the network not hanging from a workstation) I have tried the suggestions, close & go in again, no success.
    I looked at the file name in Print Options which says: C:nvquenewell~2.PRN. I think thats the problem because when I check the C drive, directory NV there is nothing called newell~2.PRN.
    All other files mentioned in the detail notes are present.
    Some background
    The NV application files are on each workstation ie drive C:. The data files for NewViews sit on the Server in a Directory called s:TempNewvie~1*.*
    I am trying to print documents from s:TempNewvie~1Newell~1.
    I am stuck, we have 5-6 machines that could use this procedure, I suppose a licence fee will apply.
    Tom Hyland
    Galway.
    Ireland

HMah
    Participant

I don’t know if this will solve your problem, but I would suggest keeping your print files 8 Char or less(plus ext). Set the Print Options to print to c:nvquenewell.prn (or txt).

Also be sure that nvPRN is set to AutoStart and the min time for checking if a file is present.

DEholnikof
    Participant

Oh :-)

Thank you for the assist !

I did send him a “private note” about some suggestions. It appears to be a more of a Windows problem – but I am not certain. Althought I never thougth about the file name limit – by habit I always make DOS files to be 8×3 chars.

But I would suggest sticking to the .prn from newviews. As a “drag & drop” the file name does not matter.

There are some new updates to the NV Side, and I will release them next week – they mostly make the installation simplier.

Thanks again Henry.

HMah wrote:

> I don’t know if this will solve your problem, but I would suggest keeping your print files 8 Char or less(plus ext). Set the Print Options to print to c:nvquenewell.prn (or txt).
    >
    > Also be sure that nvPRN is set to AutoStart and the min time for checking if a file is present.

DEholnikof
    Participant

I ran some other tests – a DOS Dot matrix (which I know prints with newviews – even from windows). I put this printer on the network, and had no problems controling the printing. Even the graphic files were reasonable for a dot matrix.

The nvPRNq was not really designed for “DOS Capablties” – but if Windows can do it, then so can nvPRNq ;-) But I can see, being able to send HEX codes such as “RESET” would be a nice to have feature – especially with DOS, but . . . . . it can be encoded into the template using @chr()

Next I will try moving the books to the network (configured as Tom Hyland did) – but in past tests, this did not give any problems (providing the local workstation is setup correctly.

David

Post Edited (04-16-04 23:57)

MFlanagan
    Participant

Hi, I am new to the forum, but have had newviews since about 1994. It still runs good for me, except:

I lost printing capability when I migrated to XP (same printer) recently. Stand alone, no network.

I could never send reports through infrared though (win98).

I beleive it is an XP problem.

In summary it looks like I must try the ascii or noform printer choices, failing that printing to a PRN file and printing it afterwards, or use nvPRNq.

Right?

DEholnikof
    Participant

Hi Michael
    Welcome to the forum !

I am surprised that using the same printer, now does not print with WINXP? Of course I presume you can print other documents using this printer?

Yes, nvPRNq would solve the problem. And you may want to consider using it, if you want to use a Non DOS Printer, Network Printer, Infrared, USB Ports – etc OR want enhanced features – such as spooling for large or many documents. For DOS capable printers, nvPRNq is not required.

However having NO output problems is usually a question of the configuration. Either from NewViews or Windows. Inside NewViews – any / all print drivers will output something. The NewViews driver’s simply make the style, layout – text look more presentable and or activate special features of the printer. .
    A simple test – using any text file AND from a DOS Window enter the command

PRINT C:MyTestFile.txt

And IF your windows configuration is correct – it will print the file.
    Then the NewViews configuration is not correct and you need to target the output to the Printer Port. In the /PO (print options) “File Name” should be one of the following

Blank – no text
    PRN
    PRN:
    LPT1
    LPT1:
    The colon depends on your windows. In some cases (but rare) it could be LPT2.

Hope this helps
    Regards
    David

MFlanagan wrote:
    > I lost printing capability when I migrated to XP (same printer) recently. Stand alone, no network.
    > I could never send reports through infrared though (win98).
    > I beleive it is an XP problem.
    >
    > In summary it looks like I must try the ascii or noform printer
    > choices, failing that printing to a PRN file and printing it
    > afterwards, or use nvPRNq.
    >
    > Right?

MFlanagan
    Participant

Thanks David.

I tried the ASCII printer designation and out printed out fast! Then I reverted to hp10p and it also worked with better formatting. I can’t understand why it wouldnt work before.

Thank heaavens NV is easy enough to experiment with.

This is a great resource. Thanks again.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.