Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    DTupling
    Participant

Does anyone here really believe we will see NV2 before the end of the year?

This has been in the works since before Windows 95 which was the original excuse for the delay!

Post Edited (04-19-04 11:48)

DEholnikof
    Participant

You’re right – timing and scheduling – does not appear to be one of QW Page’s great strengths. So I’ll let the folks at QW Page respond to info about any release dates.

I can only comment for myself.
    A way back when – i saw multi-user DOS running. What ever happened to it?

NewViews 1 is a great product – easily with standing the tests of time!! After all, it is still being used by thousands – and has enough built in design smarts to continue doing well in the Windows world also!

From what I have seen of NV2 (first hand) – I have no doubt NV2 will be as good or better than the NV1.
    So – hopefully our continued patience will be well rewarded.

Regards
    David

HMah
    Participant

Many of us have seen the early releases of NV2. Speaking for myself, I was impressed with it’s potental and initially felt it would be ready by last December.

However, after using the early versions (I’m talking about the Aug 03 to Dec 03 versions) I found the program far from functional and I had serious concerns about the speed of the product.

Q.W. Page has since made MANY improvements and incorporated many requests from those who attended the NV2 Workshops. The program is considerably faster and they have added many of the features you find in NV1.

Having said that, we have not seen an Update for some time and the current version is far from complete. The next release should tell us how close they really are to completion.

Post Edited (04-19-04 21:38)

DEholnikof
    Participant

It is a bit “dis heartening” to see that the good folks at QW Page – do not / did not give any answers AND are taking so long to reply to such simple questions.

Could It be that they do not read the forums as often as they should ?

HMah
    Participant

Be nice David. Let’s assume that no response means they are working hard and have no news to give.

I’m sure they are as anxious as us (more so since their income is generated only from sales of NV products) and would post the news the loudest if they did have a finished product.

DEholnikof
    Participant

You are quite right !

But – being ignored . . . .

MSchappler

I agree with Henry. Be nice David.

We are not ignoring you. Bob has answered most of your questions through this forum and via emails to you.

When there is something concrete to report about NV2 – you’ll get it.

Again, I agree with Henry. Be nice David.

Regards to all

DEholnikof
    Participant

Mark – you have always been polite and helpful to me, and with timely replies.

In reality – I was trying to gently prompt a reply – and was not trying to be “not nice” !!

No doubt you will report good news – when you have some

To QW Page, perhaps I should apologize
    As a writer of software, I can understand about delays – changes – many things.

David

FSaldana
    Participant

I frankly am tired of waiting. More importantly, having waited for this program for 8 years, my confidence in what the product actually do, and the safety of NV2 has been severely undermined. It is really hard to understand how any windows product could be in development for such a long period of time, during which Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, and now Windows XP have come and gone. Maybe after Longhorn!

NV! is a wonderful product that I have used exclusively for 17+ years without a serious problem and without a single failure. That inspires confidence in THAT product – but is really archaic.

DEholnikof
    Participant

What more could be said?
    I think you sum it up, quite well – but it is something that every CC has told them countless times.

Perhaps you know or don’t – NV1 also took a long time too. NV2 has not always been the same “development product”. IT had several restarts – from scratch, and (I belive) 2 almost completed versions that were abandoned because they just were not good enough.

Phil – and many others at QW Page, would likely agree that I am one of their noisiest critics. So trust me on this one – the timing has not gone unnoticed.

I hate to see anybody leave NV1 – and its also one of the reasons I – and others have been quietly working away in the background producing add-on products to extend and enhance the NV1 package.

In alpha testing – there is a method to export all the contents of an NV1 books into a MS Access Database. Then all the possible features of windows can be included. Perhaps it’s redundant, certainly such products have a limited life – NV2 will include all the same features – and none of them are easy to do.

Like you, we hope the NV2 will be released soon.

David

FSaldana wrote:
    > I frankly am tired of waiting. More importantly, having waited
    > for this program for 8 years, my confidence in what the product
    > actually do, and the safety of NV2 has been severely
    > undermined. It is really hard to understand how any windows
    > product could be in development for such a long period of time,
    > during which Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, and now
    > Windows XP have come and gone. Maybe after Longhorn!
    >
    > NV! is a wonderful product that I have used exclusively for 17+
    > years without a serious problem and without a single failure.
    > That inspires confidence in THAT product – but is really
    > archaic.

PCreagh
    Participant

Greetings NV1 forum. I heartily endorse fsaldana’s views. I used NV1 in my Veterinary practice in Canberra Australia since 1989. I only used it as general ledger to prepare my accounts for my accountant and, to be honest, nothing went wrong.

Mind you very few updates to “test” the system so to speak, however I have done a “sea change” in 2002, sold the business and now use NV to keep track of my share-trading – which it does really well.

HOWEVER the Australian distributor tossed in NV at least 7 or 8 years ago because of a lack of windows product, and a lack of Oz payroll support. So in many ways the Australian user’s felt very isolated, especially in the payroll area. You may notice the unchanging note that QW Page are looking for an australian distributor. Which is a worry for WHENEVER the new product is released ???

I too have had problems with printing from windows, especially as my printer has gone from a dot-matrix in DOS, to a colour laser in XP. I have done the NVprnq but not tested it yet.

Interestingly when I did “autoprz” it altered the background colours and header colours in my version.

One thing that would have been useful 10 years ago:

– The ability to “f” key a default date for entering cheque and invoice details, so I didn’t have to enter the date every time – I would assume it has been done, but “down here” we ain’t seen it.

I notice that David had his knuckles rapped for not being “nice”. Is this the Canadian way?? I shudder to think what Canadians would think of Australians who DEFINITELY call a “spade a bloody spade !!”.

Having sounded as though I am critical, I will say the NV was the easiest accounting program for this “non – accountant” type to learn – by far.

Phil Creagh

DEholnikof
    Participant

HI Phil ,

I am glad you will test / use the nvPRNq . It does have a few exotic “bugs” which is why its called “Beta Testing”. BUT they are at the Windows Printer API end. A finished product will be ready soon (few weeks). Personally I think its exciting there is now a way to print Letterhead, logos, color, different fonts – all from the NewViews templates. ( Hmm, maybe I need a more diversified life ? )

Changing backgrounds and more specialized parsing is something I’ve been doing for over 10 years. I got tired of all the complexities to manually produce new business forms (moving a few Y/N boxes could take several hours) and so I wrote Autoline – and a new ParseX ( => ParseQ). It took significant time to write them and the supporting tools necessary – but the time required to produce a new form dropped 99%

And I’ve also produced several other significant tools that can extend the life and use of NV1. But for whatever reasons, QW Page is not overtly eager to promote any NV1 functionality. Personally I think they are missing a large PR and Marketing opportunity (but that’s only me).

Thanks for noticing – The story of the “Emperor’s Clothes” comes to mind – I have tough knuckles, and its not the first time (and not likely the last). I have been very vocal in the past – and will continue to do so in the future. BUT politically – one catches more with Honey than Vinegar.

Regards
    David

HMah
    Participant

PCreagh:

As our 1st. Aussie to the forum, Welcome.

With regards to your question on saving the date, create a Macro for yourself called PUT or SAVE and use ~EP. Then add the item to your Fkeys ( I use F4). I suggest PUT because the / E P saves the date, description or amount.

When your talking about saving Many Invoices (ie: rents which are always the same) use the BLKCOPY and BLKPASTE.

Of course I assume you know that once you’ve saved a date, you then only the the portion you wished changed. For example you saved 13 May 2004. Tomorrow on the date column just enter 14 and press F4 to save 14 May 2004.

DEholnikof
    Participant

I see that we’re having a quiet week !

Guys !?
    Any news about the next Beta or UpDate or Release?

David

WGray
    Participant

Anyone have an idea as to just how many people are working on producing NV2?

I seem to recall that I read a profile in the late 80s or early 90s that Q.W. Page had a total of 30 employees broken up into 4 or so departments.

Maybe they have grown but if that number has remained constant, it does not appear there could be very many dedicated to the new release?

On the other hand, I wouldn’t have any concept as to how many people it would take to produce such a complex product.

Walt Gray

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.