Thank you for all your help and suggestions. Henry gets the “solved the problem” award.
Although this is a dot matrix printer, and any memories I have for DOS has a page length of 66 lines, it was setting it to 60 lines that solved the problem.
My next challenge was getting account numbers to print in the cash statment, but this was solved by setting Columns to 90 (from 80).
As for the freeze ups, I noticed that whenever NV opened a set of books it pegged the processor at 100%. I turned off key polling in the options menu of NV, this solved the 100% issue.
I then right clicked the shortcut icon on the desktop and set memory to run in protected mode and gave it lots of memory to run in by changing settings from auto.
All seems well.