Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    TThibodeau
    Participant

Hi Martin

Just on more problem to keep you going.

I have to create a blank set of books using a set that exist for a client.

I have seen the post about using block copy, copy to clipboard and creating a blank database than using block paste copy from clipboard and paste.

The problem is that the total-to does not get filled in if the total account is on the same report.

Try to duplicate the balance sheet from a database and pasting it in an empty database. There will be no total-to copied.

After you have copied the balance sheet try to do the income statement.

The accounts that totals to the balance sheet will be totaled ok but any account that total to an account on the income statement will not total.

Regards
    Thomas

MSchappler

Hi Thomas,

The reason for this is that the total accounts do not exist in the target application database. I suggest that you first copy the General Ledger / Trial Balance Report first which should contain most of the posting and Total Accounts.

Depending on the structure of the source application database, you should block copy / paste the root reports and then copy / paste the seconday reports to avoid the total to problem you have described.

A method for creating an existing application database structure to a new target application database is being considered and will be available in a future release of NewViews. It will not be ready for the upcoming release for 2.17 but I will again mention this for inclusion to NewViews.

Regards to All,

Martin

TThibodeau
    Participant

Hi Martin

I think we are talking about 2 different things.

Lest take it to the simplest form.

Create 2 empty databases.

Create a balance sheet report in both databases and create a total account “retained earnings”

In one database create part of an income statement.

Create a report called IS
    In this report create 3 total accounts

Net income ( total this to retained earnings on the balance sheet)
    Total income ( total this to net income)
    Total expense ( total this to net income)

2 income accounts totaling to “Total income”
    2 expense accounts totaling to “Total expense”

Now block all, Block copy, copy, save to clipboard

Open the other empty database

Create a report called IS

Now block paste, load from clipboard and paste.

Nothing will total to the 3 total accounts on IS except “net income” will total to “retained earnings” on the balance sheet.

You can see how the block paste works on large reports that total to another report.

The accounts are created and then you see a message box that says “creating total to’s”, so the accounts are created first and then total to’s are filled in.

So the question becomes why is it that when you “block paste” the above example the “total to” column does not get filled in, except for the account that is on a different report.

I hope with this example you can see what I am talking about.

Cheers
    Thomas

MSchappler

There is a problem performing block copy > save to the clipboard and then block copy/paste > load from clipboard in another another application database and then performing paste. The first column total to’s do not get pasted although they do appear in the Block Paste preview screen.

Total to columns 2 through 4 do get pasted. This also occurs when selecting save to file and load from file.

This problem does not occur within the same application database.

This problem will be fixed in service pack one of 2.17.

Regards to All,

Martin

TThibodeau
    Participant

Thanks Martin

Thomas

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.