Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    DPustovalov
    Participant

Hi,

I’m trying to dump data from NV1 for uploading to new system. Can somebody give me an idea how I can download Notes field and G/L history into Excel.
    Thank you.

DEholnikof
    Participant

I have a beta program to do exactly that, but not exactly for your purpose. However it will do the same task. It will dump a full set of books (any books) into coma delimited files.

If you are interested, you can have a copy for your NV1. Depending on the size of your books, please remember that Excel can not have a “sheet” size of more than 66,000 items.

Regards
    David

DPustovalov wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I’m trying to dump data from NV1 for uploading to new system.
    > Can somebody give me an idea how I can download Notes field and
    > G/L history into Excel.
    > Thank you.

DPustovalov
    Participant

Hi David,
    Thank you for answer. How can I have this procedure?

Regards,
    Dmitri

HMah
    Participant

How much of the data do you want? For just the closing balances you could print the Trial Balance to a file then import the file in excel.

DPustovalov
    Participant

Henry, thanks for idea. I need G/L history for last 60 months.
    Now I’m trying to use NVEXPORT procedure. I managed to get notes by accounts from output txt file.
    But I still need G/L history and vendors detailed open balance.
    I’ll take a look on trial balance.
    Thank you,
    Dmitri.

DEholnikof
    Participant

Hi Dmitri,
    You can down load the Nv Library from this link.

http://www.prgms.com/newviews/Export/NV_Export3.zip

Paste in to your internet browser window, and then “Save” the file. Please put it into any directory and unzip it and then from NewViews, import the library (GETLIB) and then run “_Export”.

The purpose of this program is to export all the data from any set of books, and then use an other one of my programs will build this into an MS Access database. A beta of the dB Builder is also available.

The files are exported as Comma Delimited Text. Simply change the ending from “*.txt” to “*.csv” to import them. Excel can also link or import *.txt or *.csv files.

While you may not require it, I have a program that will correctly parse the files for such items that are not acceptable to Excel or Access – such as the single double quote. That alone, really screws up the import. YOU should use the parser, I found it to be necessary for most books.
    You can download the Parser program (also beta & free) from

http://www.prgms.com/newviews/Export/dbParser3.zip

The parser includes the Nv Library files. The programs are fully tested, but there still may be a bug or two. Please let me know if you have any problems. Thanks.

The export program does not make any changes inside your books and is 100% safe to run. By default, everything is exported to a directory called IMEX.

The NV History is found in the nvREPT.txt files. However you will need to read your users manual to understand how all the columns work to give the Monthly Balances. Column FA0 is the Current Balance (See NV User’s Guide Pg 247)

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me here or directly at david@ica.net Feedback would be nice to have, thanks.

Regards
    David

PS – any one else is also welcome to try the programs too.

Post Edited (03-26-05 09:06)

DEholnikof
    Participant

Sorry Guys,

I have found a bug in the dB PARSER – so it has been removed from the website. However the _EXPORT is still there and runs correctly.

I will replace the dB Parser in the next day or two.

Thanks & Sorry for any problems.

David

DEholnikof
    Participant

Thanks for waiting, the bug has been repaired. The dBParser should work on all versions of Windows, including Win2003 Server.

The Nv Export files are at

http://www.prgms.com/newviews/Export/NV_Export3.zip

However you should include the parser to remove problems such as Double Quotes from the files The nv export library is included with the dBParser2.zip

The Nv Export and Window’s Parser is at

http://www.prgms.com/newviews/Export/dbParser3.zip

Some versions of Windows may require a MDAC Library update. You can download MDAC Version 2.8 from Microsoft, or here at

http://www.prgms.com/newviews/Export/MDAC_TYP.EXE

Additonally please make sure you have all the required updates to your version of Windows.

Thanks

Post Edited (03-26-05 09:06)

HMah
    Participant

Dmitri:

What accounting program are you trying to import into?

There are a couple other options:

1. Try PRTACCTS. This procedure will print transactions for selected date range. You can select to start with the Previous Closing Balance or a Zero starting balance. Using this procedure you would Block reports from Home

2. The other option is to try the EXPALLTR procedure. This procedure will copy all transactions for a selected date range. It does not give you the option of starting with the Closing Balance. This procedure will automatically search for every transaction entered for the dates selected.

DPustovalov
    Participant

Hi,
    David, Henry thank you very much. I started work with NV just last week. The only purpose is to get data for the new system (Navision). That’s why sometime I don’t understand specific NV terms.

David, I’ll try your procedures and post results here.

Henry, I used EXPALLTR but the output format is not great. I’d use it if I can’t find the other solution.

Thank you for your replies,
    Dmitri.

DEholnikof
    Participant

Oh, sadly you are moving away from NV to a new system !!

Regardless – my export program should give you all the details you wanted, but you may have to look to find it. BUT it can all be done with SQL statements.
    Best of luck

DPustovalov wrote:
    > David, Henry thank you very much. I started work with NV just last week. The only purpose is to get data for the new system (Navision). That’s why sometime I don’t understand specific NV terms.

DPustovalov
    Participant

Hi David,
    thank you so much for your procedure. It seems to me that I could get all data coming out from the procedure.
    You save me hours and hours of work. I appreciate your help. If I coud be helpfull for you just let me know.

Thank you,
    Dmitri.

DEholnikof
    Participant

Glad you liked the program. I would suggest you “build the access database”, it makes looking at the data much easier. You can download the dbBuilder installer from http://www.prgms.com/newviews/Export/dbBuilder.zip later tonight.

Oh-by-the-way, the parser is build into the dbBuilder it will build an MS Access database, even if you do not have Access.

It is really designed to be a multi-user backend of the NewViews program. An alterative to NV2. You are the first person to use the program, outside of the company. We think that all the bugs, are fixed – but . . . . So if you find some, please let us know.

Perhaps you would consider testing / using some of the “front end” tools for our multi-user?

Again
    Thanks for using our products

David

DPustovalov wrote:
    > Hi David,
    > thank you so much for your procedure. It seems to me that I
    > could get all data coming out from the procedure.
    > You save me hours and hours of work. I appreciate your help. If
    > I coud be helpfull for you just let me know.
    > Thank you,
    > Dmitri.

Post Edited (03-29-05 13:57)

DPustovalov
    Participant

Hi David,

I’d like to share the results of using dbBuilder (last version).
    It’s very useful tool for me to understand database structure (there’re column descriptions) but system functionality is extended far away from my task. I need to dump all data only couple times.
    From the prospect of daily using of this system it’s perfect. Especially that you can create SQL database (I didn’t test it).
    I didn’t find any bugs in the program but when I created MS Access database the program rewrote my NV.mdb file in newview’s directory and said nothing about this.

Thank you again. Your procedure perfectly downloads all data in suitable format.
    Dmitri.

DEholnikof
    Participant

HI Dmitri,

I’m glad you like the program. The SQL Builder requires that you have SQL Server installed, and most people don’t. So it has been removed from the program. However you can always “UPSCALE” the Access Database ( if you have SQL Server). Ah, yes we always overwrite the “local mdb” file. Perhaps we should give users a choice? It was designed this way because the expectation is Users would “link” to the nv.mdb, and not use it directly. Otherwise the “automation” features become really difficult to manage.

For example – a company uses the database for a Sales Order Taking application of Widgets. Widgets may come in many colors and sizes. NewViews only cares about the money (of the order) however all the other details could be used by the Sales People, the Factory, Multi-Users, etc. If the name of the nv.mdb kept changing, then all the other programs using this dB would always be in a constant state of change. We expect the nv.mdb to be updated everyday from NewViews, but the data should never be altered directly.

So from a management point of view,
    – Export data from NewViews
    – Build an Access MDB File
    – Connect Access, Excel, or EXE programs to the nv.mdb
    – Use an other program/mdb to save all the changes
    – Import the financial changes back into NewViews
    – Begin the Export process again.

This way you really have a multi-user system working with the NewViews books. A great way to manage Inventory, Sales, Quotes, Shop Orders or Time & Billing take your pick.

Given that NV2 will require licences for each workstation, and in a company where there could be lots of users, many of the features and techniques from the dbBuilder could be used here, to save many costs for clients.

If you have any other suggestions, I like to hear them.

Thanks
    David

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.