Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    RLauria
    Participant

I had a computer bite the dust and put NewViews on an older computer with Windows 98. When I ask for the Information on the main menu, no serial number for NewViews appears, although all the other information does. This prevents some recently installed procedures from working correctly. Is this a problem in Windows 98 and how can it be corrected?

BHalpin
    Participant

This is not a Windows 98 issue.

It may be that you installed a (really) old 1.41 update version that was unserialized. These disks were intended to be installed ‘over top’ of a 1.40 version, and would ‘assume’ the existing serial number.

You will need to do one of:

– Locate your latest (1.41b) diskettes and install them
    – Copy the NV program files from the old machine to the new one
    (Unlikely if the box bit the dust)
    – Locate a backup of the NV program directory from the old box and
    copy it into the new machine’s NV directory
    (Again unlikely – most people didn’t backup the program directory)
    – Purchase replacement program disks from Q.W.Page

Bob

RLauria
    Participant

I reinstalled the 1.41b program disks, then Procedure Library Version 12 and then Productivity disk #7. The serial number now appears when I ask for Information in the NewViews shell, which is the same serial number that is on my invoice for the new products. But when trying to run a procedure I get “Cannot run unserialized library” and then “The prodedures installed in these books do not have a valid serial number. To obtain a procedure update with your serial number, please contact Q.W. Page Associates Inc.”

BHalpin
    Participant

Ok, this is now straightforward (sort of.)

What’s going on here is the NewViews program files (the ‘core’ NewViews, if you will) have a serial number embedded in them. But, it sounds like a productivity disk you installed is not serialized. Which PD Disk? That depends on what procedure you tried to run when you got the error message.

Background: The NV1 procedure library that comes with NewViews is not serialized. All Productivity Disk and Payroll libraries are though. And, when you run a procedure from one of these it will give you an error if the library’s serial number doesn’t match your NewViews program serial number. Also, an error message is displayed if the library disk you installed was not serialized – which sounds like the error you are getting.

In the long run you should do what the Error/Help say’s – contact Q.W.Page. They will sort you out in short order.

Bob

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.