Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ALukachko
    Participant

I found my disks for NV 1.41 and loaded them on a computer with Wind ows XP Pro. I get an error saying that it can’t run a 16 bit program. I’ve sucessfully run NV 1.40c, which is a 16 bit program, on Win XP Pro. Any suggestions??

Thanks for your help.

CGolden
    Participant

What was the exact error message you received?

If it was something similiar to “your system is unsuitable for running MS-DOS programs”, there is a workaround available on Microsoft’s site. We can also email you the same workaround, it this is the error. It’s actually ALL MS-DOS programs that won’t run if that is the error you are recieving.

If it was an error that said “an application has tried to directly access the disk”, then you have Fast Access set to ON in the NewViews shell menu (where you see BOOKS, BACKUP BOOKS, etc.). You would go to OPTIONS there and hit on fast access to change the setting to NO.

Post Edited (03-09-05 13:08)

ALukachko
    Participant

CGolden wrote:

> What was the exact error message you received?
    >
    > If it was something similiar to “your system is unsuitable for
    > running MS-DOS programs”, there is a workaround available on
    > Microsoft’s site. We can also email you the same workaround, it
    > this is the error. It’s actually ALL MS-DOS programs that won’t
    > run if that is the error you are recieving.
    >
    > If it was an error that said “an application has tried to
    > directly access the disk”, then you have Fast Access set to ON
    > in the NewViews shell menu (where you see BOOKS, BACKUP BOOKS,
    > etc.). You would go to OPTIONS there and hit on fast
    > access to change the setting to NO.
    >

>
    > Post Edited (03-09-05 13:08)

Before I moved the NV 1.40c set of books over to C:NV141, I checked to ensure that Fast Access was set to off. That’s the way version 1.40c works.

When I try to load NV 1.41, the screen goes black, there is a beep and then a window pops up titled ” 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem”. It has a message “NV The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instrauction. CS:2035 IP:370a OP:0f 25 4a 3e 02 Choose ‘Close’ to terminate the application..

If I ignore or close, the window disappears

CGolden
    Participant

Are you running from a shortcut on your desktop that you created? What is the command line you are executing to start NewViews (EG: C:nvnv.exe)? Also you said you installed the 1.41 disks. What version of 1.41 is printed on the diskette label? 1.41 by itself is an upgrade to 1.40 and 1.40 must be installed first for it to run. Versions 1.41a and 1.41b, and 1.41b procedure library 12 followed afterwards and did not require a previous installation.

Also, is the error occuring during the install or after it’s installed and you are trying to start the program?

Post Edited (03-10-05 15:48)

ALukachko
    Participant

Hello,

I’ve tried both as a short cut on the desktop C:nv141nv.exe and also I’ve opened the C:nv141 folder and run nv.exe directly. I also created an MS-DOS shortcut in the folder and tried running that as well. In all 3 cases, I get the same error I described earlier.

The diskettes (3.5″ floppies) have Version 1.41 printed. I also have diskettes (3.5″ floppies) that have Version 1.40. In fact when I installed the 1.40 diskettes, it ran properly in Windows 98, 2000 and XP Pro. As well, they show version 1.40c when you enter NewViews. I’ve been using this version for years without a problem.

What I did was copy all files (including the 1.40c exe’s, ovl’s and the various data files in the company folder) from the original C:nv folder to a new folder called C:NV141. I then installed version 1.41 into and top of the files in the C:nv141 folder.

I do not have version 1.41a or 1.41b and the 1.41b procedure library 12. I understand I have to have the 1.41a or 1.41b version to upgrade to NV2.

The error only occurrs when I try to run as described above. I ha no problems installing 1.41.

Thanks for your help

HMah
    Participant

With WinXP if you get the error CloseIgnore (and selecting Ignore works), this is a common error with WinXP and usually occurs when you Copy the NV program files from your old computer (or from a backup) to the new computer.

I’ve always been able to resolve the issue by Installing NV (just the program files) from the original diskettes onto the WinXP computer. Suggest you delete all existing files from the directory before re-installing.

The other time where NV would not work in XP was because of an Internet or email virus. NV would not even start and the error was “MS-DOS 16bit program will not start”. Martin found the fix by re-installing the CONFIG.NT & AUTOEXEC.NT files from the WinXP disk. If this is the case call Martin and he will fax you the instructions.

Post Edited (03-11-05 11:02)

ADoble
    Participant

My PC does not have a floppy drive so I have had to install NV via a copy. Does anyone know a way of disabling the error message referred to by Henry Mah, as clicking on IGNORE every time is getting most annoying :-(

HMah
    Participant

Try re-installing nv in your older computer (say to a new directory) and copy those files to your new computer.

MSchappler

Make sure Fast Access is off in the NewViews Shell.

Regards,

Martin

ADoble
    Participant

Thanks – turning off FAST ACTIVE did the trick

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.