Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    WGray
    Participant

Since, QW Page does not want to respond to questions concerning the NVEXPORT program, does anyone know the reason(s) for the warnings that come up related to locally brewed procedures?

For instance, “Procedure INCCOMP has 1088 source lines?” is a warning I received after running the recently revised NVEXPORT.

This warning apparently has no “error” meaning and my understanding is the current procedures will not convert, so I am curious as to why these type of warnings would even come up.

DEholnikof
    Participant

HI,

As a long time CC, I have a few “learned” opinions – to your questions.
    BUT Really QW Page should be providing answers.

WGray wrote:
    > Since, QW Page does not want to respond to questions concerning the
    > NVEXPORT program,
    Hmm – I think they are just slow to respond. I’m a cc, and sometimes they are slow through this forum to even my questions.

>does anyone know the reason(s) for the warnings that come up related to
    > locally brewed procedures?
    The very first draft of the export proc saw this as an error, and so it continues as a “Warning”

> For instance, “Procedure INCCOMP has 1088 source lines?” is a warning I
    > received after running the recently revised NVEXPORT.
    Ah – any proc with more than 1,000 lines will generate this Warning Note.

> This warning apparently has no “error” meaning and my understanding is
    > the current procedures will not convert, so I am curious as to why these
    > type of warnings would even come up.
    – None of the existing NV1 procs will be converted. They must all be re-written in the NV2 Procedure language.

As to why the warnings still come up . . . That is a darn good question !!

Regards
    David

Post Edited (10-11-04 12:43)

MSchappler

Send the NVEXPORT.LOG file to support@qwpage.com and I will have a look and let you know.

I trust you are running the latest version of NVEXPORT which is version 58.

Regards,

Martin

WGray
    Participant

Not sure what sending a file would do.

Version 58 was run.

The only thing I am curious about is if procedures are not going to transfer why do some popup with a warning?

David says if one has a procedure with more than 1,000 lines a warning will appear.

What is the significance of the warning if the procedure will not transfer to NV2?

MSchappler

The NV1 procedures will transfer to NV2. These procedures will not be usable in NV2.

Coverting your books to NV2 will contain all of the information your NV1 books had.

Sending the log file would be helpful in viewing the warnings you are encountering.

Regards,

Martin

WGray
    Participant

You have answered my question although I am not sure why we would be exporting useless data in fhe form of the unusualble procedures from NV1 into NV2.

It would seem to me that the PRC area should be by passed for export, however–needless to say–I don’t know what you folks are trying to accomplish by moving that unusuable data.

If you think you can say more than, “yes you have warnings,” then tell me first what you think you can learn, then include your Email.

Thanks

CGolden
    Participant

WGray:

In response to your question, I went to the programmers and asked them why we are exporting things that will not be used in NV2. Here are the responses which answer your question:

1) Everything is exported so there is no chance of losing/leaving anything behind.

2) We need all the procedure settings from procedures like SETUPS, SETUP, Payroll procedures, etc..

3) 3rd Party procedures may have stored data in the notes/records views and if you write (or hire someone to write) scripts to do what the original procedure did, this information is accessable to you in NV2.

I hope this makes it more clear why we are exporting it all rather than being “selective”.

Craig

WGray
    Participant

Thanks,

I really appreciate the explanation.

This apparently means my original question, above, concerning the warnings received about having locally brewed procedures with more than 1,000 lines are warnings that, in fact, actually have no meaning?

Walt

CGolden
    Participant

Hi Walt.

When I asked before about this warning, I was told that the only reason it’s even displayed is that some users may choose to not bother bringing over this extra information if it’s a procedure that is no longer used/needed. I had a user with the same warning call me and they chose to delete the procedure rather than bother dealing with it in NV2. It’s all the user’s choice. You can leave it and ignore the warning or delete the procedure(s) that give you the warning before exporting if you never plan to use it again. I guess the reason for the warning was just that they were trying to bring it to a user’s attention, but I can appreciate why you were concerned/puzzled.

Regards,
    Craig

DEholnikof
    Participant

Hi,

As for the Warning Message – it would have been better called “Information” or “NOTE”
    While it is true that no transported NV1 Procedure will run in NV2 – I would strongly suggest bringing the entire set of books including all the procedures because often hidden information resides in the “Record View” such as Company Name.

Regards
    David

CGolden wrote:
    > Hi Walt.
    > When I asked before about this warning, I was told that the
    > only reason it’s even displayed is that some users may choose
    > to not bother bringing over this extra information if it’s a
    > procedure that is no longer used/needed. I had a user with the
    > same warning call me and they chose to delete the procedure
    > rather than bother dealing with it in NV2. It’s all the user’s
    > choice. You can leave it and ignore the warning or delete the
    > procedure(s) that give you the warning before exporting if you
    > never plan to use it again. I guess the reason for the warning
    > was just that they were trying to bring it to a user’s
    > attention, but I can appreciate why you were concerned/puzzled.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Craig

WGray
    Participant

Thanks everyone,

Walt

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.