Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    LChilds
    Participant

Hello.

I have attempted, 2 separate NVExports and both times everything was running along smoothly but after 3 hours and 20 minutes the procedure stopped running.
    When I escaped out of the procedure I would get the messsage “Books have reached their maximum size”. This seems odd to me as the books are being exported to the file named NV1_NV2 not to the existing books.

NVCHECK was run on the books prior to running NVExport and no errors were detected. The books have been purged numerous times over the years as the books are quite large (524 megabytes). The books were purged and reorganized about 3 weeks ago or so.

All the necessary steps were taken prior to running NVExport. ie Setting of the Reconcile field to “on” and changing the auditor date to “0’s”.

The time has come to convert our main set of books to NV2 due to the continous purging and reorganization that is required but it has come to the point where these steps are redundant.

I am at a lost as to why I’m having this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Les

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello,
    The issue is you have reach the max size NV1 database can grow, which is 524mb. In order to convert to NewViews 2 you must have some memory to work with, around 500mb. Which means you have to get rid of a few hundred transactions. A suggestion of records you can get rid of are old payroll records, but before getting rid of any transactions it’s a good idea to backup your database. After deleting transactions you must reorganize your books in order to shrink the size. Once you bring down the size of your books you will be able to convert the database to NewViews 2.

As a reminder do not purge your books, its better just to delete a few hundred transactions.

Thanks

LChilds
    Participant

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Deleting transactions to free up space is not an option for us. The books have been purged up to Dec 31, 2009 and the only remaining transactions are current year 2010 transactions. These absolutely cannot be deleted as it will cause our books to be completely inaccurate for year end purposes. The converted set of books will not be accurate either and deleted transactions would take months to re-enter into NV2. This would not be an option.

The only option that I can see is to have to build a completely new set of books with opening balances. This sort of defeats the purpose of converting and having history information in the books.

But my question remains, “Why would I receive the error message that the books have reached the maximum size when NV2 is exporting all data to the NV1_NV2 file which is not apart of the dos books database file? I realize that the books have reached their maximum size I just do not understand why NVEXPORT needs block space within the NV1 set of books to export into a completely different file for the NV2 format.

I remain confused.

Thanks

MSchappler

NVEXPORT requires extra space in the NV1 books to perform the tasks to export to the file NV1_NV2, hence the error message “Books have reached their maximum size. When performing a task like NVEXPORT or FILLCOL of accounts to move to another report, NV1 creates a safe point from which to recover if a problem is encountered.

To free up space within your NV1 books:

1. Check the notes view of report documents that contain text imported (/Block Import) from previous years. Removing the text in the notes view of reports, accounts, distributions etc can help you free up enough space within the NV1 books to complete the NVEXPORT.

2. Remove all of the Printers in the PRN document. Block Export (or PUTPRINS) to a directory before deleting the Printers.

3. Remove procedures and templates that contain large amounts of text and NPL code from the procedure view.

Regards to All,

Martin

LChilds
    Participant

Hello Martin.

Thanks for the info. I do have about 755 procedures in total. A good portion of them that I have programmed myself to accommodate our requirements over the years. I will remove these procedures as we obviously won’t be using them again in NV2.

Thanks

Les

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.