Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    GHeath
    Participant

When I run PAYRUN with hours on the notes view, I find employees are skipped at random. I use a 3 digit prefix to ID employees. When I look back to the notes view after the problem occurs, I see the prefixes of employees that ran proprerly with the hours deleted, and then there are blank lines where the skipped employees prefixes used to appear.

Anyone seen this problem before? I can’t see a pattern or anything unusual in the setups of the skipped employees. The problem began out of the blue and has not gone away with payroll updates. Thanks for any help.

Greg Heath

HMah
    Participant

I had to go back to my notes to review the Notes method of entering payroll. I don’t use that method, so will have to guess why you are having the problem. Ususlly if an employee payroll is ignored it’s because you are attempting to calculate payroll for a Terminated Employee (one where you have run PRTROE). Know idea why it would skip random employees who have not been terminated, unless your input info does not match the Earnings for those employees.

Questions:

1. Why bother with this method of inputting hrs?

2. What do you feel are the advantages?

3. How many employees do you have and are your running more than one department (or have more than one Payroll report)?

DEholnikof
    Participant

I can answer part of your questions

When the notes method is used, all fields are required, even if ZERO (Reg OT OTx)

The notes method is very handy when “Time Collection” is done from an outside source – such as Electronic Punch Clocks – and the time / data is sum’d and put into NewViews.

I’ve done this before – when there were several hundred employees. NewViews was used only for the Payroll and cheques.

David

HMah wrote:

> I had to go back to my notes to review the Notes method of entering payroll. I don’t use that method, so will have to guess why you are having the problem. Ususlly if an employee payroll is ignored it’s because you are attempting to calculate payroll for a Terminated Employee (one where you have run PRTROE). Know idea why it would skip random employees who have not been terminated, unless your input info does not match the Earnings for those employees.
    >
    > Questions:
    > 1. Why bother with this method of inputting hrs?
    > 2. What do you feel are the advantages?
    > 3. How many employees do you have and are your running more than one department (or have more than one Payroll report)?

HMah
    Participant

I’ve just run the Notes Payroll and it works fine. However, I prefer to have the option of Confirming each paycheque before proceeding to another. My clients (who’s payroll averages 60 employees) usually have many Deductions and it’s better to view the calculations, rather than having it run through all employees on a particular report. If you make a mistake, then you are deleting calculations and changing the cheque numbers.

DEholnikof
    Participant

Ah – don’t get me wrong – but isn’t that the point of having it Automated? The External “Time Collections” is where the hours should be checked, prior to submitting it to NewViews (Payroll Notes).

In my version – the “notes info” was imported by a procedure – after the hours/timesheets were verified.

Its been a very VERY long time since I ran the PayRun – but I seem to recall there was a pause/break?

HMah wrote:

> I’ve just run the Notes Payroll and it works fine. However, I
    > prefer to have the option of Confirming each paycheque before
    > proceeding to another.

HMah
    Participant

The problem is not the Hours, but the Deductions. They want to ensure that specific items and amounts to be deducted are correct. Unfortunately the deductions vary from pay period to pay period and that’s why they want to Confirm the cheque before accepting it.

DEholnikof
    Participant

Ah – then automation is not a good choice for them. Although I’m not sure why deductions would vary from week to week. It is possible to put “cash advances” and the like, as variables.

It is possible to automate such things but its been a long time since I’ve looked at the payroll . . . . . . .

HMah wrote:

> The problem is not the Hours, but the Deductions. They want to ensure that specific items and amounts to be deducted are correct. Unfortunately the deductions vary from pay period to pay period and that’s why they want to Confirm the cheque before accepting it.
    >

HMah
    Participant

The deductions I refer to are Store Charges and other purchases from a company store and to be deducted from the employee pay. There are also loans and the repayment will vary depending on the hours worked.

DEholnikof
    Participant

Hmm,
    I see !

Depending on how much time it takes your client currently to do all this manually, I would suggest perhaps a “VB EXE” Program external to NewViews to track Store Employee Purchases with a formula of loan repayments. It is much more easy to automate such things in an executable program. Of course this could run multi user, and in windows. Then have the program prepare the correct “import file” to put on the Notes View of the Pay Run.

The real question is the cost effectiveness. IE / Cost of the programs VS Employee’s time to make payroll each week. If the “Pay back” time is relatively short, it might be worthwhile.

If it was my client, AND with many assumptions (on my part) – I would be inclined to suggest . . . .
    Assuming enough employees, there is some type of “smart cash registers”?
    Which can track Employee Clock Times?
    And/Or Employee Store Purchases?
    and outputs to some type of “file or database”?
    Or a punch clock that outputs Employee Hours?

Then the EXE Program could collect the data ,and accumulate / massage it to produce Summary Totals, combined with a loan repayment factor – and Manual Adjustments. Then Build this into a NewViews File for importing.
    Such a program could also handle new employees, Employee Information, Employee Loans.

A Control program for NewViews might be required depending on how complex the information stream is and what you want it to do.

Given that there are 60 or so employees, – its something to think about :-)
    Needless to say – we build such customized toys !! (my shameless plug)

Regards, David

HMah wrote:

> The deductions I refer to are Store Charges and other purchases
    > from a company store and to be deducted from the employee pay.
    > There are also loans and the repayment will vary depending on
    > the hours worked.
    >

HMah
    Participant

Payables and purchases are coded to AR codes when they occur or as the invoice is entered. Some are coded directly to Payroll, this is up to the client.

We’ve set up a Payroll Deduction Ledger and items like Store Deductions, Loans, Car Deductions, etc, for each employee is entered and saved using BLKCOPY (Ctrl F5).

Before each payroll these deductions are copied with BLKPASTE (Ctrl F6) and the amounts changed if needed. They also use GOX (F9) to check the AR’s to ensure the deductions is correct.

Often early pay cheques are given so the deductions must be dated early.

Advances are coded directly to the Employee Payroll account and do not have to be re-entered.

Items like Group Ins is entered to the payroll at the AP ledger and only done once a month (the entry is entered for two pay periods and the company portion as an expense).

They prefer this method because the deductions are in one area and easily reviewed. In addition there is a code for each employee and they rarely miss an employee deduction.

Thanks for you input David.

DEholnikof
    Participant

There are two rules I always try to follow –
    1 – If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it !
    2 – Just because I can – doesn’t mean I should !

All of these things you speak about, could be done quicker, easier and with a much lower learning curves outside of NewViews. But if they’re happy with the current method . . . . . see my 2 rules above :~)

However with 60 employees, they should start considering soon, things like “smart badges” – for Time Collection, Cash Register Id, Security, Electronic Inventory, Bar Card Readers – etc – etc.
    While NewViews is still the best accounting program I’ve seen todate, it falls woefully short on the “modern world of peripherals”

My niche – is simple, connecting the outside world – to the best accounting package.
    IE – nvPRNq (ha – again I got my plug in !! )

>They prefer this method because the deductions are in one area and easily reviewed. In addition there is a code for each employee and they rarely miss an employee deduction.
    >
    >Thanks for you input David.
    >
    Not a problem !!
    Suggesting upgrades to your client (with or without me) just might be a great sales/upgrade opportunity – just waiting for you to explore!

We need to think outside the box, every now and then !

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.