Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    LGrey
    Participant

As anyone address the tax treatment for retro pay.

It is a retro amount of a regular salary increase owed to staff as of April 1, 2007.

Thanks
    Lorna

MSchappler

Lorna,

Users I have come accross have added an new earnings account and set the tax treatment to Regular Wages and paid it on a separate Payrun within a Pay Period along with the normal regular wages.

The sticky point was having them understand that the Income Tax deducted is within the entire pay period and not just that Retro Pay.

Regards,

Martin

LGrey
    Participant

Thanks.

The entire pay period? I think I will us Bonus as the Tax Treatment and see if it makes a difference.

Lorna

BHalpin
    Participant

Retroactive pay increases should be taxed in the same way as a bonus. Therefore the account should be setup in the same way as a bonus.

But, most employees and employer’s object to the high tax rate applied to the amount, so they don’t do it. But, the high tax is correct. The employee will end up paying it in the long-run anyway – either through a lower refund or a higher tax payable when they file their return.

Here’s a link to T4001, Employers’ Guide – Payroll Deductions and Remittances:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/t4001/README.html

See page 23 – “Bonuses and retroactive pay increases”. Just by the title you can see that they are treated identically for tax purposes.

Bob

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.