Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    LChilds
    Participant

I have had an opportunity to start testing and evaluating the NV2 demo set of books recently. One of our largest requirements is to be able to add and process a very large subcontractor payroll. There are numerous labour rates and deductions that are required to be processed on an ongoing basis. The majority of our subcontractors are incorporated companies. In reviewing NV2 I see no easy way of setting such a system up to accommodate our needs. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Les

BHalpin
    Participant

Hi.

I’m not sure what you mean by “subcontractor payroll”.

I must be missing something – I would think that a subcontractor who is an incorporated company would maintain their own payroll to pay their employees, and invoice you like any other supplier.

If the workers are, in fact, paid from your payroll, then NV2 payroll allows you to setup any number of earnings & deductions you need.

What needs are not accommodated?

Bob Halpin

LChilds
    Participant

Hi Bob,
    Thanks for the reply. Under normal circumstances you would be correct…that they would be considered suppliers. However being in the construction industry our company provides services based on supply and install. Our company supplies all materials and our subcontractors supply labour only. Our company sets the labour rates that are paid to our installers depending on what is being installed. Hence different rates for different installers. Under NV1 we are able to use and post various labour rates and other expenses and deductions for, ie tool purchases to job cost accounts and installer “payroll accounts”. There can be upwards of 10 to 15 different accounts depending on what is being installed. We use the term payroll accounts that are on a subcontractors payroll report for convenience only. This has been accomplished through my complex programming within NV1. Labour rates etc. are chosen from procedure screens that are called during processing of individual work orders. The “payroll accounts” then total to various labour and other expense accounts on various reports. Just to clarify, this situation is not a normal “payroll” scenario with income tax, cpp and ei type deductions.

While testing NV2 I’m finding that the process of entering labour rates based on quantities of materials installed, ie number of square feet, is somewhat cumbersome and time consuming. Not being able to use the pick command to set up materials used and labour rates or price lists from within the “quantity and rate fields” which to chose from makes this extremely time consuming on a keyboarding and entering basis.

LChilds
    Participant

To continue from my last post.

Is this scenario going to be able to be set up within NV2? We have been using NV1 for almost twenty years but the time has come to upgrade our accounting system and it would be great if we could move to NV2.

Any thought or help on this would be greatly appreciated Bob.
    Thanks
    Les

BHalpin
    Participant

Hi Les.

Ok, now it’s all clear.

If you did custom programming in NV1 to accomplish your goals, unfortunately that won’t convert to NV2. Also, at this point, the only source for customizations is Q.W.Page.

So, if you can’t get what you want “out of the box”, you will have to speak with Q.W.Page.

Bob

LChilds
    Participant

Hi Bob.

I realize that all my years of custom programming is worthless in NV2 but it would have been so much easier if NV2 had this capability built in or at the very least allow the addition of scripting to accommodate our requirements. Speaking with Q.W.Page regarding our requirements would take months and months as we are probably one of few companies that have such extensive programming in place for use with NV1.

I will continue to review and test NV2. Perhaps I will find a solution or a work around to our requirements.

Thanks kindly

Les

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.