Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    HMah
    Participant

It appears that Win 8 also is available in 32bit version. As ususal they are normally sold with 64bit. Glad to see MS did not drop the 32bit version.

SGallo
    Participant

I spent an hour yesterday in two chat sessions about this with Microsoft and the bottom line was, “Not our problem. Get with NewViews.” My new computer is 64 bit. All I wanted to know was how to get NewViews to work, like can I divide my hard drive into two partitions and place MS XP in it? Any help. Got nothing. What gets me is that accounting is “black and white.” Dos is “black and white.” We DOS NV1 users, and I have been with NV since they started, just want to stay with “black and white.” Why doesn’t some NV authorized agent update NV1 under license and sell it? Dosen’t look like Q.W. page is interested.

HMah
    Participant

Yes its a pain, but there are options.

Set up a Virtual Drive, go to: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/
    Buy the 32bit and install on your computer
    QW suggests you upgrade to NV2.

I prefer the second option

ps: if you have the home version you can create the virtual pc, but you need to follow a different procedure (search it on google or youtube)

SGallo
    Participant

I played around with Win8 more and I can get a Dos window to appear. Win8, and I don’t know why this is this way, but the program folder is two folders; one is Programs and one is Programs (x86) which seems to handle the “older” stuff. I put NV1 in the x86 folder but I can’t figure out how to address it. More later.

SGallo
    Participant

Found out how to address it, but unfortunately, it’s back to the 64 bit error.In other words, Win 8 runs DOS easily, but not 32bit. This may be a novice question, but is there software that converts 32 bit programs to 64bit?

HMah
    Participant

No, as mentioned earlier if you really want to use your new computer for NV than the easiest methos id to buy 32bit operating disk and install over 64bit.

MSchappler

Try DOSBOX which you can obtain for free. Google DOSBOX and review the specs.

There is no difference from Windows 7 and Windows 8 in regards to a command prompt.

Also try serching for XP Mode for Windows 8. There is a link if you search for XP Mode for Windows 7.

Regards to All,

Martin

DParfett
    Participant

Regardless of what Microsoft say, the botom line is that they don’t provide a driver for DOS programs to work on 64 bit machines. What they do provide (at least in Windows 7) is an XP emulator. I use this myself. It’s ok but then I only use it very Occasionally. Normally I use the Windows NV. What it comes down to is if your going to go for a modern OS, you need a mordern accounting package. That is NewViews 2.

SGallo
    Participant

Getting there. Before I start, please don’t tell me to get NV2. I have it and don’t like it. My NV1 will now run with DosBox in Win8 64bit. My problem is that the curser shows on the home page and menus but does not show in the books.

Cam anyone guide me to an answer?

SGallo
    Participant

Got NV1 running.DOSBox 7.4 has a configuration file. With a bit of tinkering, it loads and runs. I’m going to run the books a bit longer as a test to see if any gliches appear, but, so far, none.

HMah
    Participant

Have you had any problems printing? or accessing usb drives?

SGallo
    Participant

Printing has always been handled by “prnt.” It’s what I use on another computer running Win7. Have used it for 5-6 years. If you need it, email me at mail@gfusa.net and I’ll send it. It’s freeware. I couln’t find the link using Goggle.

Sam

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.