Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    HMah
    Participant

Though I’d ask the question.

HMah
    Participant

Guess mine is spelling,.

GMcInnes
    Participant

My bookeeper uses NewViews and I quite like it and have learned to use it in a more rudimentary way over the last 10 years.

I’m looking forward to upgrading to Windows XP but meanwhile wonder how I can export to Excel since it’s not sometning my bookeeper uses.

Glenn McInnes
    Glenn@Canada.com

HMah
    Participant

First you can run the current NewViews in Win XP without any changes.

Secondly you can export “Reports”, and “Ledger Entries” to excel in different manners.

To send a report to excel, change your Print Options (/ P O) and set the File Name to something like C:IS, or C:INCSTM, whatever makes sense.
    then print the document / P D.

When you Open the File in excel, you will have to change File Origin to DOS or OS/2 (PC8). then the report should appear in excel. You will also have to modify the Total’s since the numbers will be correct, but not as a formula.

To export Ledger entries, block them and use the EXPTRANS procedure. again sending them to a filename you can find. Open in excel as explained for the reports.

You can reverse the process and import Transactions back to NewViews as well. However, the file must be saved as a CSV file.

HMah
    Participant

Glenn:

I forgot to mention that you can do the same thing with the Trial Balance. Set the print options, then run TRBAL and it will be saved in the filename you chose. Then you can import it into excel as explained.

I would first print a copy to be sure it balances.

TRoutenburg
    Participant

has anyone else had problems getting Newviews to run in windows xp

TRoutenburg
    Participant

I get an error describing a 16-bit error

HMah
    Participant

Sometimes when you have copied the NV program files to an XP computer you get an error when starting NV. If you click “Ignore” it allows access to NV with no problems. I’ve seen this problem with several computers.

I’ve found that if you re-install NV using your original diskettes the error message is gone.

DEholnikof
    Participant

HMah wrote:

> Sometimes when you have copied the NV program files to an XP
    > computer you get an error when starting NV. If you click
    > “Ignore” it allows access to NV with no problems. I’ve seen
    > this problem with several computers.
    >
    > I’ve found that if you re-install NV using your original
    > diskettes the error message is gone.
    >

You might also want to mention – the more simpler and easy way to have a set of books load, is to use the NV.EXE Shell – rather than the more direct way of NVC.EXE

The shell (NV.EXE) can be used directly from windows, while the command line (NVC.EXE mybooks) is normally run from a dos window.

David

HMah
    Participant

The other problem with NVC process is the Edit Safety is ON and cannot be turned off (accept for single transactions). Same with the Edit Reconcile feature.

NV process also provides access to any number of books not just one set as David mentioned.

BHalpin
    Participant

Re: 16-bit Error

This occurs if the “Fast Access” option is turned on in the NewViews options. As Henry said, this error can occur after copying the NV programs directory to a new machine if the option was set to “On” on the old machine. This is often the case where you are moving from an old DOS/Windows version that allowed Fast Access to a new system that doesn’t. Re-installing NewViews from the diskettes has the effect of restoring the Fast Access option to the default “Off”.

Simply go to options and turn Fast Access Off and you will not be bothered by the error again. (And, while you are there, turn off Keyboard Polling.)

Bob

NBlount
    Participant

Do you have a printer driver that will make it possible to print to a USB port?

I would surely appreciate such capability!

HMah
    Participant

BBlount:

The only way I know to have NV print to a USB printer is to use one of the print programs designed for that purpose. There are three that I know of and one is discussed in this forum (go into CONFIGURING PRINTER).

The one discussed in this forum was written by David Eholnikof a NV Consulatant and the program works fine.

BHalpin
    Participant

Re: USB Printers

We’ve found that a USB connnection to the printer is not the end of the road for DOS printing.

I personally setup an HP 1000 via USB cable and it worked 1st time with DOS/NV. Before doing this I studied the HP web-site for info on DOS printing and followed the instructions I found there. (And they were simple – no hocus-pocus.)

In support we’ve had success with USB printers by using the “NET USE” command.

The type of connection (USB, Parallel, Serial, Infrared, etc.) is not the issue – these are:

1 – Whether the printer will understand output from a DOS program (see other posts about this.)

2 – Connecting to the printer. This is now quite simple on NT family systems (NT, 2000, XP) using the NET USE command.

Last point on the connection issue: If you think about it, when printing to a network/shared printer attached to another computer, your connection to the the ‘printer’ is a network cable – parallel/USB doesn’t even come into the mix.

Bob

HMah
    Participant

I’ve known about the Net Use command for network printers and never even thought to apply it to a usb printer. Nice to know Bob.

I’m finding that DOS commands (even the simple ones) are quickly been forgotten by most people. New users don’t even know that there is such a thing as dos.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.